1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Checking very simple problems of motion

1. Jan 19, 2008 #1
    Just wanting to double check the reasoning and the work for these. They are fairly simple, so I didn't use latex, but I can re-edit at any time if someone so desires (I'm online more often than I like to admit hehehe).

Thanks.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1) A mass 'm' is rolled of a table at height 'h' with horizontal speed 'Vx'. Where does the mass land? What trajectory did the mass take?

2) If x = -cos(t) + 3*sin(t), what is the amplitude and phase?

3) Show that an equivalent expression for x = C1 * cos(wt) + C2 * sin(wt) is B*cos(wt + P). How do B and P depend on C1 and C2.

2. Relevant equations
    1) F = ma
    2) sin(a +- b) = sin(a)cos(b) +- cos(a)sin(b)
    3) cos(a +- b) = cos(a)cos(b) -+ sin(a)sin(b)

3. The attempt at a solution

1) I solved the equations of motion for both vertical and horizontal directions.
    With y(0) = h and Vy(0) = 0, I got y(t) = h - mg/2 * t^2

With x(0) = 0 and Vx(0) = Vx, I got x(t) = Vx * t

Solving for y = 0, t_land = sqrt(2/[mg]), so I said the mass will have fallen and displaced Vx * t_land away from table.

Plugging x/Vx for 't', I have that the path is y(t) = h - mg/2 * (x/Vx)^2, which is a parabola with downward concavity.

2) If we rewrite as A * sin(wt + P), then A * sin(P) = C1 and A * cos(P) = C2
    Therefore A is simply sqrt(C1^2 + C^2) = sqrt(10).
    and P = arctan(C1/C2) = arctan(-1/3).

3) If we rewrite as B * cos(wt + P), then B * cos(P) = C1 and - B * sin(P) = C2
    Therefore B is simply sqrt(C1^2 + C^2)
    and P = arctan(-C2/C1)

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2008 #2
    Err, I know it's not exactly challenging, but if anybody could take a look and tell me if it's right, that would be cool (especially for #1, the others I'm 100% are correct, not even sure why I posted them).

4. Jan 19, 2008 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

That "m" doesn't belong there. Resolve for t and you're good to go.

The other two problems look OK.

5. Jan 19, 2008 #4
    Wow, thanks a lot.

After the proper fixing, I got that the time for landing is T = sqrt(2h/g)
    x will have displaced by Vx * T.

The equation, in terms of x is y(x) = h - g/2 * (x/Vx)^2, with x ranging from 0 to Vx * T. The equation describing the right half of a parabola with downward concavity.

6. Jan 19, 2008 #5

Doc Al

Looks good.

7. Jan 19, 2008 #6
    I have a question though, for 3, say I use x = -cos(2t) + 3*sin(2t) and try to write it as y = B*cos(2t+P)

Then I use B is simply sqrt(10)
    and P = arctan(3)

This is giving me an error though. x = -y.

Why is that?

I know it's because B is in fact -sqrt(10), but how can we determine that?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  8. Jan 19, 2008 #7

Doc Al

Oops. I think you made an error in #3 before:

Redo your answer for P. (One difference between #2 & #3 is that one uses Sin(wt +P) while the other uses Cos(wt + P) )

9. Jan 19, 2008 #8

I thought the P was right...

The B was wrong by a factor of -1.

This is because when we solve for B we get +or-sqrt(C1^2 + C2^2).

For the first case, we got the positive square root, but this time around we need the negtavie, I'm wondering why.

10. Jan 19, 2008 #9

Doc Al

A change in sign is equivalent to a change in P. If you choose B as positive (amplitudes are always positive), that determines P.

11. Jan 19, 2008 #10
    Which step was wrong for the solving for P then? I'm a little confused.

I understand that I could as easily keep my B positive and shift the argument inside the cosine function by adding pi, but I would rather not, unless there is a clear motivation in the equations.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  12. Jan 19, 2008 #11

Doc Al

I think the problem is that (as you pointed out) this method gives a choice of +/- for B. To see which fits a particular case, you must plug in the values. (Interesting!)

Note that:
    [tex]\tan(\theta + \pi) = \tan\theta[/tex]

But:
    [tex]\cos(\theta + \pi) = -\cos\theta[/tex]

13. Jan 20, 2008 #12
    I figured out why. When we foud P, we took the arctan which returns an angle between -pi /2 and pi/2, where cosine is never negative.

Thus if we have c1 = Bcos(P), then a negative c1 would imply that we need to take the negative square root.

14. Jan 20, 2008 #13

Doc Al

Good. Another way of looking at it is what I tried to explain above. Arctan(x) gives an angle which is ambiguous by an additive term of [itex]\pm\pi[/itex] radians.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?