Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cheeky integral

1. May 17, 2005 #1
    Hi guys,

In an attempt to solve the following differential equation, I have come up with an integral that has stumped me.

The differential equation is as follows:

[tex]

\frac{dy}{dx} + \frac{y}{x^2} = 2x [/tex]

Using an integrating factor, I end up with the following:

[tex] y \cdot e^{-\frac{1}{x}} = 2\int xe^{-\frac{1}{x}} dx [/tex]

I cannot solve that right hand integral, I have tried using parts and substitution and I cant really yield anything meaningful... Is it possible to evaluate this integral using basic calculus methods? Or is something else required?

Thanks!! :biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Add a constant to this result.

Daniel.

Attached Files:

4. May 17, 2005 #3
    I tried using the integrator from Wolfram..but I wanted to see if there was a neater result. This was actually a question on an engineering paper. Have I done steps preceeding the integral evaluation correct, with the integrating factor?

:confused:

5. May 17, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Everything is okay.Here's what Maple says

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}+\frac{y}{x^2}=2x [/tex]

, Exact solution is :

[tex]y\left( x\right) =x^2-x+e^{\frac{1}{x}}\mbox{Ei}\left( 1,\frac{1}{x}\right) +Ce^{\frac{1}{x}} [/tex]

Daniel.

6. May 17, 2005 #5

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I get the same thing as you brenden.

Also, I wouldn't trust that integrator too much. It has hapened to me twice that he provided a wrong answer.

7. May 17, 2005 #6
    Ok cheers fellas, must've been a type-o in the paper.

Much appreciated.

8. May 17, 2005 #7
    Oh by the way, I'm not sure what the equivalent is, but I am fairly proficient up to Calc III, and I want to begin pursuing some advance calculus. I am looking for a suitable text in which I can do some self study and tutor myself as best possible. Can anyone recommened a thorough and lucid text for self-study?

I am looking for something more precise, as opposed to just a list of rules and how to implement them.

Thanks guys, much appreciated
    Peace

Last edited: May 17, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?