Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cheese and wine party

1. Apr 29, 2008 #1

wolram

Gold Member

What cheeses , wines and biscuits etc would you serve?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2008 #2
    if it was for PFer's -------

only the VERY best----

(for relatives--the 'already opened' stuff)

4. Apr 29, 2008 #3

wolram

Gold Member

This is a get to know you party for villagers , some are quite well off.

5. Apr 29, 2008 #4
    are you 'going', or are you 'hosting'?

and is it a byo?

6. Apr 29, 2008 #5

wolram

Gold Member

I am hosting, i struck lucky with the local wine store they will take back any unopen bottles.
    There will be an option to BYO.

7. Apr 29, 2008 #6
    that 'take back' offer is good---I had a reception for one of my 'one-man' shows of my art one time, and I had just done a painting for a local bar whose owner 'volunteered' his and one of his employees time to be the bar tender and he supplied the liquor with that 'bring back' unopened idea--that was nice of him--

how many are attending? inside, outside? formal, informal? theme? need more info---

8. Apr 29, 2008 #7

wolram

Gold Member

It will be inside the village hall (no cost) no theme, it is a way of life here people send out invites to such and such gathering, i have to count on about 30 to 40 people turning up,
    some young some old and every thing between, there will be no formality, we go as we are.

9. Apr 29, 2008 #8
    I tend to pick a country or vinyard to spotlight, it just makes it easier to narrow down my choices. 5 different wines to sample is a good amount, and pretty much covers the spectrum of sweets to drys.
    I tend to perfer seeded crackers and breads, but with out/ or low salt. 1 soft cheese, 1 white semi hard, 1 mild yellow and 1 sharp yellow. Sliced apples, pears and grapes, or even dried fruites. Then a platter of sweets for the last hour. Chocolates, Lady fingers, short breads.

10. Apr 29, 2008 #9
  11. Apr 29, 2008 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since everyone's tastes are different, go with hypatia's suggestion...basically, get a variety. Get some soft, some hard, some mild, some sharp/strong, and everyone will find something to their liking. Same with wine, get a sweet and dry red and white and one extra of whichever you enjoy most (might as well get something out of this for yourself if you're stuck being in charge of the thing).

12. Apr 29, 2008 #11

wolram

Gold Member

Would you pick some of these?

Asiago Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Johannisberg Riesling, Syrah, White Zinfandel

Blue Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Portacinco, Syrah, Zinfandel

Brie Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Zinfandel

Cheddar Cabernet Sauvignon , Merlot, Johannisberg Riesling, Syrah

Camembert Cabernet Sauvignon

Gouda Chardonnay, Merlot, Pinot Grigio, Johannisberg Riesling, Zinfandel

Gruyere Chardonnay, Johannisberg Riesling, Sauvignon Blanc, Syrah

Havarti Chardonnay, Merlot, Sauvignon Blanc

Monterey Jack Merlot, Sauvignon Blanc, Zinfandel

Mozzrella Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc

Parmesan Pinot Grigio, Johannisberg Riesling, Sauvignon Blanc, White Zinfandel

Pepper Jack Syrah, Zinfandel

Provolone Chardonnay, Merlot, Syrah, Zinfandel

Swiss Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio, Johannisberg Riesling, Sauvignon Blanc

13. Apr 29, 2008 #12

wolram

Gold Member

Hey good ideas, i could learn a bit about the vinyard.

14. Apr 29, 2008 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yum...I'd come to your party. :smile: That sounds like a nice selection.

15. Apr 29, 2008 #14

wolram

Gold Member

16. Apr 29, 2008 #15

wolram

Gold Member

Your supposed to pick out five MoonB.

17. Apr 29, 2008 #16
    it sounds like you've been to them before---do you remember the good the bad and the ugly of what was offered before?

--then, make it a little personal of what you do and like

18. Apr 29, 2008 #17

wolram

Gold Member

Not to buy wines for an occasion like this, i like Hypatias idea, but which vinyard.

19. Apr 29, 2008 #18

turbo

Gold Member

Hypatia has a good feel for what you could do to cover the bases without spending too much money or effort. There should be a shop around that specializes in wines and cheeses and could help you pick a region of France (for instance) and line up a good selection of each. There was such a shop about 40 miles from here that (unfortunately) went the way of many small start-up businesses. I could never go in without buying something - the owner would pass out samples of specialty cheeses on crackers and I could rarely resist buying some. One time, he got in a couple of cases of Inglenook Cabernet Sauvignon 1966, and he was offering it at about $6.00/bottle (this was in 1979). I bought a couple of bottles and my wife and I tried it out with a nice steak for supper. I got back over there in a day or so, intending to buy a case, and it was all gone. Somebody else had sampled that wine, too, and cleaned him out.

BTW, I hope you don't get the Monty Python cheese shop.

20. Apr 29, 2008 #19

wolram

Gold Member

I like Parmesan with Pinot Grigio

Blue with Merlot

Cheddar with Riesling

That all i know

21. Apr 29, 2008 #20
    My top 3

Havarti and Merlot
    Brie and Riesling
    With Jack and pepper jack, I always love a really fruity red wine.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?