CHEF Gel Troubleshooting: Help With Plugs & Ladder

• Thread starter MatthewHaas
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about someone having trouble with their CHEF gel and looking for expertise in the area. They mention issues with plugs not leaving the wells and a thick band in the well when using ethidium bromide staining. They also ask if anyone has experience with running CHEF gels. They later mention ruling out power supply issues and advise using a voltmeter or oscilliscope to check for pulsed potential.
MatthewHaas
Has anyone ever ran a CHEF gel before? I am having trouble getting my plugs to leave the wells. Ethidium bromide staining shows a thick band in the well, and I am supposed to have a ladder. I have some images I can post, but I figured it makes more sense to first see if anyone out there has any expertise in the area.

Thanks!

Biology news on Phys.org
Did anything get out of the well? I assume that you have already ruled out power supply issues, yes?

I am sorry for the late reply. No, nothing got out of the well. We have not rulerd out power supply issues.

Power supply is the first thing you check. Use a voltmeter unless the power supply applies a pulsed potential. If it is pulsed, you need an oscilliscope.

I have experience with running CHEF gels and troubleshooting issues with plugs and ladders. Based on your description, it sounds like your plugs may be getting stuck in the wells due to either improper loading or issues with the gel matrix. I would suggest checking your loading technique to ensure the plugs are being properly inserted into the wells and are not getting stuck on the sides. Additionally, it may be helpful to try a different gel matrix or re-run the gel with a lower percentage of agarose to see if that helps with the band thickness. Posting images of your gel may also be helpful in identifying the issue. I hope this helps and best of luck with your CHEF gel troubleshooting.

1. Why are there air bubbles in my gel?

There are a few potential reasons for air bubbles in your gel. One common cause is improper mixing of the gel solution, which can introduce air into the mixture. Another possibility is that the gel was poured too quickly, causing air to become trapped. Make sure to mix the gel solution gently and pour it slowly to avoid air bubbles.

2. How can I prevent plugs from forming in my gel?

Plugs in a gel can form due to a few factors, such as the gel being too hot or too cold, improper mixing, or using an expired or contaminated gel solution. To prevent plugs, make sure to mix the gel solution thoroughly and at the correct temperature. Additionally, regularly check the expiration date and store the gel solution properly.

3. What causes the ladder to run unevenly in my gel?

An uneven ladder may be caused by the gel being poured at an angle, which can cause the samples to run unevenly. Make sure to pour the gel straight and level to prevent this issue. Additionally, using too much sample or overloading the wells can also result in an uneven ladder.

4. How do I troubleshoot smearing in my gel?

Smearing in a gel can be caused by a few factors, such as using too much sample, an uneven gel surface, or improper loading technique. To troubleshoot this issue, try reducing the amount of sample loaded and make sure to load the samples evenly across the wells. You can also try adjusting the voltage or run time to improve resolution.

5. What can I do if my gel is not running properly?

If your gel is not running properly, there could be a few potential issues. The most common causes are an incorrect buffer or gel concentration, expired or contaminated reagents, or an issue with the power supply. Check that all reagents are within their expiration date and properly stored, and make sure the power supply is functioning correctly. If the problem persists, try making a new gel with fresh reagents.