Chef Knives for Christmas

• Thread starter Ronnin
  • Start date
If you want to spoil her rotten get 1 copper piece of cookware. Its quite amazing how much different copperware is.
You mean vs. the stainless? I've never used copper before so I don't know much about cooking in one. I hate to admit it but most of my experience so far has been with ye ol PTFE (Teflon is a registered trademark of Dupont, lol), alum, and cast iron. Also, I'm also thinking of buying a sheath for the knife, not a big roll, and getting her initials embroidered on it. I don't want her thinking its "our" knife, even though I will be using it quite a bit. Do they sell something for larger knives (hunting knives maybe?) that would work for that? She's spoiled, but she puts up with me and that's not always easy.

To really benefit - do you own and know how to use a steel?

I saw them online, thanks for the recomendation. I have a cast iron skillet but my wife doesn't like to use it because she won't immediately clean it, dry it, then re-oil it. I normally only use that for deep frying on my turkey fryer.
Gotcha' That is the clincher. They need to be re-oiled if you wash them. Do a Google search for {Alton Brown + cast iron skillet}. I don't know how well documented it is, but he did an episode where he took you to a store and showed how to pick out a skillet. He also demonstrated the 'proper' way to clean one. No water is involved. Just a good dose of Kosher or Sea salt and a dry towel. The salt soaks up all of the oil and then a second dousing acts as an abrasive to lift any burnt on bits.

The beauty of the cast iron skillet is that you really shouldn't ever have to scrub it (with a few exceptions of course). Since it conducts heat so well, you really don't have to keep the heat up too high which results in less charring of things to the pan.

Also, regading
You mean vs. the stainless? I've never used copper before so I don't know much about cooking in one. I hate to admit it but most of my experience so far has been with ye ol PTFE (Teflon is a registered trademark of Dupont, lol), alum, and cast iron. Also, I'm also thinking of buying a sheath for the knife, not a big roll, and getting her initials embroidered on it. I don't want her thinking its "our" knife, even though I will be using it quite a bit. Do they sell something for larger knives (hunting knives maybe?) that would work for that? She's spoiled, but she puts up with me and that's not always easy.
Yes. Copper is the bomb (I think that's what kids are saying these days). It is a great conductor of heat keeping the pan evenly heated throughout. Usually the higher-end pans are either all copper or the like the All Clad pans (the ones I mentioned earlier), have a layer of copper 'sandwiched' in between two layers of stainless to enhance the conducting properties of the pan.

HTH
~Casey

minger
Science Advisor
Now my lovely bride has informed me that she also would like something like a skillet, stainless or alum, that we can braise in then move it into the oven. I guess i've got my work cut out for me. Anyone use that Calphalon cookwear?? I love to eat so I never complain about anything for the kitchen. I'm glad so many people here love to cook!
I have a full set of Calphalon One hard-anodized and the stuff is really great. They make this paste-stuff that you can use on it every year or so to get it back to "normal". You can use metal in it, so long as its not like a knife or anything and it heats evenly and fast.

As far as the copper stuff someone mentioned, I'm not a HUGE fan of it. It heats like crazy, but due to the nature of the metal, you really can't use anything acidic in it: no tomatos, no lemon juice, nothing.

Aside from that, if you're looking for something that you can sear in (think 2" NY strip) and move to the oven, then honestly nothing beats a $25 10" cast-iron skillet you can get from anywhere. Season it properly and you're in business.

turbo
Gold Member
Aside from that, if you're looking for something that you can sear in (think 2" NY strip) and move to the oven, then honestly nothing beats a $25 10" cast-iron skillet you can get from anywhere. Season it properly and you're in business.
Really. If we are not going to cook a steak on the grill, it gets seared really quickly in a cast-iron frying pan, then transferred to a pre-heated oven to finish cooking, then to a covered dish to relax for a few minutes before serving.

Never wash cast iron with soap and water. Scour with coarse salt and wipe clean. The remaining oils and residue from past uses fill in the pores in the cooking surface, and make the pan almost non-stick. Washing a cast-iron pan ruins this seasoning and puts you back to square one.

As far as the copper stuff someone mentioned, I'm not a HUGE fan of it. It heats like crazy, but due to the nature of the metal, you really can't use anything acidic in it: no tomatos, no lemon juice, nothing.

\
They make copper cookware that is lined with stainless steel to circumvent that problem.

All of this food talk has really made me hungry for a nice T-bone or NY strip. I've never used salt to clean my iron skillet and had no idea that was the prefered method. The only other way i've seen the skillet cleaned was with a hand full of dirt if for some reason it was left out wet and rusted. Of course Granny would wash it clean afterwards, but it did get rid of any rust. I do have some kosher salt in reserve that I use to roll prime rib roast in. If you have never tried making it using the salt crust method I highly recommend it! I believe Christmas dinner this year is going to be either rib roast or leg of lamb done in my roto with a cilantro and garlic coating. Since i'm buying the wife the knive I guess i'm going to have to let her make the first cut this year :frown:

I have never cooked with stainless or copper. From what i've read the secret is having the oil and pan already hot but I won't know until I try to do eggs. Any suggestions would be welcome on the proper methods. I do love my cast iron, but the wife just isn't a big fan of dealing with it. Also, for anyone who has used the oven to finish a steak (I've never done one that way, I grill then move to a upper rack on the pit to finish) do you cap it while it is in the oven? Does it matter? I have a large roasting pan that I cap when I do a large pork roast or something similar and the cap is essential on that.

I have never cooked with stainless or copper. From what i've read the secret is having the oil and pan already hot but I won't know until I try to do eggs. Any suggestions would be welcome on the proper methods. I do love my cast iron, but the wife just isn't a big fan of dealing with it. Also, for anyone who has used the oven to finish a steak (I've never done one that way, I grill then move to a upper rack on the pit to finish) do you cap it while it is in the oven? Does it matter? I have a large roasting pan that I cap when I do a large pork roast or something similar and the cap is essential on that.
No! Check out http://www.recipezaar.com/Pan-Seared-Steak-From-Alton-Brown-265639" [Broken] procedure by Alton Brown. I live and die by it for a good Rib eye!

Last edited by a moderator:
turbo
Gold Member
No! Check out http://www.recipezaar.com/Pan-Seared-Steak-From-Alton-Brown-265639" [Broken] procedure by Alton Brown. I live and die by it for a good Rib eye!
That's the way to do it, though I shorten the oven time because my wife and I like our steaks rare. If you want succulent, tasty steaks on the cheap, buy flat-iron steaks. They are a super-tender shoulder cut, and they can be hard to find because the yield is low (just 2 per animal), but they are a lot cheaper and tastier than porterhouse, rib-eye, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will have to try that in the near future. I don't see how that wouldn't work great. I wish I was cutting into a steak right now. Instead it's its a chicken quarter for me.