1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chem Equilibrium Question

1. May 3, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Excess BaCO3 is placed in a container containing 5L of pure water. Given the following info:
    BaCO3 (s) ↔ Ba2+ + CO3 2- and Kc = 5.7E-6
    how many moles of BaCO3 dissolve?

2. Relevant equations
    Kc=(Ba2+ )(CO3 2- ) = 5.7E-6

3. The attempt at a solution
    solved for x to get .002387 moles/5L which is incorrect. Dividing by 5L gives me .000477 moles. The correct answer is .012 and I am unsure what I have done wrong. It seemed simple enough. Could someone tell me what to do?

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2017 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

0.002387 is not number of moles.

4. May 3, 2017 #3
    I forgot to add my last step but I know. It's the moles per liter. If I divide by 5 it gives me .000477 moles which is also not correct.

5. May 3, 2017 #4

Borek

No, it is not moles. Check your units.

Randomly juggling numbers is NEVER a good approach to solving problems.

6. May 3, 2017 #5
    Then what is x supposed to be? I was under the impression that the number by which it BaCO3 decreases is equal to the x that each of the products increases by.

7. May 3, 2017 #6

Borek

So you are solving for x not knowing what it is? That's randomly juggling numbers, I told you it doesn't work.

You have calculated something in your first post. What it was? Can you post your whole solution?

8. May 3, 2017 #7
    Yeah, all I did was calculate 5.7E-6 = x2 and solved for x which got me to .002387. Isn't its units M/5L because the container contains 5L of water?

9. May 3, 2017 #8

Borek

No, that's not how units work. Units don't contain numbers (or, if anything, we assume all numbers to be equal to 1). Besides, typically by M we denote molar concentration (which has its own units, mol/L ← an important hint here!), not number of moles.

What is x intended to mean in this equation?

10. May 3, 2017 #9
    The Kc equation contains (Ba2+ )(CO32- ) and they both gain x per the ice chart so therefore Kc = x2

11. May 3, 2017 #10

Borek

And what you mean by (Ba2+) (or (CO32-))?

12. May 3, 2017 #11
    Those are the products in the equilibrium. But I figured it out, anyways. I was dividing by 5L of water when I should have been multiplying by 5L because I needed to eliminate that 5L in the denominator and get moles by itself!

13. May 3, 2017 #12

Borek

These are CONCENTRATIONS. And concentration has units of mol/L. Per ONE liter, not per 5 liters.

When you divided by 5 L you got the result in mol/L2 units - these don't make sense, but you have never checked so you were not able to spot the mistake.

14. May 3, 2017 #13
    I know, thank you for the hint.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted