Show half cell equation and dimensional analysis.

In summary, the problem is asking for the maximum number of moles of In that can be deposited at the cathode when .060 faraday is passed through an electrolytic cell containing In +3 ions. The student is unsure about which method to use, but the solution involves using the half cell redox reaction and dimensional analysis. According to Faraday's electrolysis law, 1 mol of X+ can be converted with 1 F of electricity.
Callaway

Homework Statement

If .060 faraday is passed through an electrolytic cell containing a solution of In +3 ions,what is the maximum number of moles on In that could be deposited at the cathode? Show half cell equation and demensional analysis.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I actually was just confused about this problem. I originally thought I should use half cell redox but now I don't know what I can use. If I should use half cell just tell me and I can do it. If there is another method could you get me started or guide me through? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
X+ + e- -------> X

you need 1F of electricity for this reaction to occur, 1mol X+ to be converted to 1 mol X.

Faraday's electrolysis law. Not that it states anything else that Kushal wrote.

1. What is a half cell equation?

A half cell equation is a mathematical representation of the chemical reaction that takes place within a single electrode of an electrochemical cell. It shows the reactants and products involved in the redox reaction and their corresponding oxidation states.

2. How do you write a half cell equation?

To write a half cell equation, start by identifying the chemical species involved in the reaction and their corresponding oxidation states. Then, write the reactants on the left side of the equation and the products on the right side, separated by an arrow. Finally, balance the equation by adding the appropriate number of electrons to both sides to ensure that the overall charge is balanced.

3. What is dimensional analysis?

Dimensional analysis is a mathematical method used to convert between different units of measurement. It involves using conversion factors and dimensional equations to ensure that the units in both the initial and final measurements are consistent.

4. How is dimensional analysis used in chemistry?

Dimensional analysis is commonly used in chemistry to convert between different units of measurement, such as mass, volume, and concentration. It is also useful for solving problems involving stoichiometry and reaction rates, where the units of the reactants and products must be consistent.

5. Why is it important to use dimensional analysis in chemistry?

Dimensional analysis is important in chemistry because it helps ensure the accuracy and consistency of measurements and calculations. It also allows scientists to easily convert between different units, which is essential for comparing and analyzing experimental data. Additionally, dimensional analysis can help identify errors in calculations or measurements by checking the units for consistency.