Chem Lab Help: Equilibrium Systems

In summary, the addition of water to the solution caused the HCl to become more dilute, shifting the equation to the right in order to counteract this change in the system. This resulted in the formation of a clear solution of dissolved BiCl3 and the reformation of the white precipitate of BiOCl. This is supported by the mass action expression, which does not include H2O and shows the shift in equilibrium towards the right. Various theories were suggested by classmates, but this explanation is the most accurate.
Eshi

Homework Statement

Explain what happened when the solution was added to water in terms of Le Chatelier's principle and ocument your explanation using observations. Think Carefully! write out the correct mass action expression before you answer--this is subtle!

Homework Equations

a. BiCl3(s) ↔ Bi^3+(aq) + 3Cl-(aq)
b. Bi^3+(aq) + Cl-(aq) + H2O(l) ↔ BiOCl(s) + 2H+(aq)
c. BiCl3(s) + H2O(l) ↔ BiOCl(s) + 2HCl(aq)

The Attempt at a Solution

Mass Action: 1* [HCl]^2 / 1 * 1
The 1's are because the solids and liquids are not counted in mass action expressions.

My observations were that HCl to the system got rid of the white precipitate of BiOCl making a clear solution of disolved BiCl3 in water. I observed that after adding water the precipitate reformed. My original theory was that the added concentration of H20 shifted the equation to the right because of the added concentration of H20, however, because H20 is not a part of the mass action expression, I changed my theory to be:

The adding of water causes the HCl to become dilute and less concentrated, shifted the equation to the right to counteract the change in the system.

Is this the right theory? I have heard a bunch of different ideas from my classmates, but I like my idea the best, but I'm not sure if this is the right answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds good.

Your explanation is on the right track, but there are a few things that can be clarified. First, let's define Le Chatelier's principle: it states that when a system at equilibrium is disturbed, the system will shift in a direction that minimizes the disturbance. In this case, the disturbance is the added water.

Using this principle, we can analyze each of the equations separately:
a. BiCl3(s) ↔ Bi^3+(aq) + 3Cl-(aq)
When water is added, the concentration of water increases, causing the system to shift to the right to counteract the increase in water. This means that more Bi^3+ and Cl- ions will be produced, leading to the formation of more BiCl3.

b. Bi^3+(aq) + Cl-(aq) + H2O(l) ↔ BiOCl(s) + 2H+(aq)
As you correctly stated, the addition of water causes the concentration of HCl to become more dilute. According to Le Chatelier's principle, the system will shift to the left to counteract this change. This means that more BiOCl will be formed, which is observed as the reformation of the white precipitate.

c. BiCl3(s) + H2O(l) ↔ BiOCl(s) + 2HCl(aq)
Similarly to equation b, the addition of water causes the concentration of HCl to become more dilute, leading to a shift to the left and the formation of more BiOCl.

In terms of the mass action expression, you are correct that solids and liquids are not included. However, it is important to note that the concentration of H2O remains constant throughout the reaction, so it does not affect the equilibrium constant. Thus, the mass action expression for each equation remains the same.

Overall, your explanation is correct, but it can be further supported by using Le Chatelier's principle to analyze each equation. Keep up the good work in your chemistry studies!

1. What is an equilibrium system in chemistry?

An equilibrium system in chemistry refers to a state where the rate of the forward reaction is equal to the rate of the reverse reaction. This means that the concentrations of reactants and products remain constant over time, and the system is considered to be in a state of dynamic balance.

2. How can I determine the equilibrium constant of a reaction?

The equilibrium constant (K) of a reaction can be determined by taking the ratio of the concentrations of products to the concentrations of reactants, with each concentration raised to the power of its coefficient in the balanced chemical equation. The value of K will depend on the temperature of the system.

3. What factors can affect the equilibrium of a system?

The equilibrium of a system can be affected by changes in temperature, pressure, and concentrations of reactants and products. Adding or removing reactants or products can also shift the equilibrium in a particular direction.

4. How do I calculate the percent composition of a compound in equilibrium?

To calculate the percent composition of a compound in equilibrium, you will need to first determine the concentrations of all the species involved in the reaction. Then, divide the concentration of the compound you are interested in by the total concentration of all species and multiply by 100 to get the percent composition.

5. Can Le Chatelier's principle be applied to equilibrium systems?

Yes, Le Chatelier's principle can be applied to equilibrium systems to predict the direction in which the equilibrium will shift in response to a change in temperature, pressure, or concentration. According to this principle, a system will try to counteract any changes made to it in order to maintain equilibrium.