1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chem lab, titration neutralization

1. Nov 11, 2009 #1
    ok i am doing my lab report ow, and i am compeltely lost with some of these questions. it was a titration neutralization lab can get some help?

1- why is it necessary to dissolve the khp in water?
    2- why is necessary to swirl the flask during the titration?

i think the second one is so the khp dissolves and mixes fully, but that seems to easy. i dont know the first one at all though. thanks for any suggestions.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2009 #2
    Re: good at lecture bad at lab?

Titrations are a form of aqueous reaction. I'm sure you remember that dissolving a solid (KHP) in a liquid (whatever you're titrating) has a much slower diffusion rate than two aqueous solutions. Depending on what level of chemistry you're taking, this should probably give you your answer.

Your second answer, as far as I can tell, is correct.

4. Nov 11, 2009 #3

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: good at lecture bad at lab?

sportsstar469,

What confuses you about the two titration questions? For #1, imagine trying to do a titration without dissolving the KHP. Do you believe this might be an inefficient way to conduct a titration? Can you imagine why? Do you want this analyte dissolved, or in mostly one solid clump? For #2, do you expect the solutions in the titration flask to mix on their own effort? Think about the practical nature of these mechanics. Dripping the titrant into the flask is only enough for the titrant to find initial settlement in one location and then will diffuse on its own. Think why this is not good enough!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2009
  5. Nov 18, 2009 #4
    Usually when doing titrations of that nature, an acid-base indicator is used in the lab, such as phenolphthalein. To answer your #2 question, I would take a look at your procedure info to see if you need an acid-base indicator and to think why swirling the flask would be important.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook