Chem Lab Titration: Finding Unknown Molarities

In summary, the conversation is about a chem lab experiment involving titrations to find the molarities of unknown solutions. The individual is using the equation M1V1=M2V2 to calculate the molarities, but the checking program is showing incorrect results. It is suggested that the full formula is (M1)(V1)/N1 = (M2)(V2)/N2 where N1 and N2 can be found by writing the balanced equation of the titration. The individual is also reminded that (M1)(V1)/N1 is equal to 1 when M1 is in moles/liter and V1 is in liters.
map7s
We recently did an experiment in chem lab with titrations and we are supposed to find out the molarities of some unknown solutions. I thought that I was doing my calculations right, but the checking program that I am using keeps telling me that I am wrong.
We made a standard solution that was 0.09769 M and was 250 mL. We used 25mL aliquots of this solution to titrate against an unknown concentration of NaOH. The mean volume of the base that was used was 23.10 mL. I thought, since our acid was KHP with one titratable proton, that I could just use the equation M1V1=M2V2 like so: (0.09769M)(25.00mL)=M2(23.10mL)...can you please explain where my thinking where wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You did nothing wrong. Perhaps the problem is with the checking program.

I think the correct/complete formula is :

(M1)(V1)/N1 = (M2)(V2)/N2

where:
M1, M2 = Molarity of the acid and the base
V1, V2 = Volume of the acid used and the mean volume of the base (Na OH)
N1, N2 = No. of moles of acid and base

Your equation is perfectly correct, but only N1 and N2 are missing.

N1 and N2 can be found out by writing the balanced equation of the Titration.

I hope i have helped. If i am wrong please correct me.

How many moles of acid = (0.09769 moles/liter)*(0.025 liter)

How many moles of NaOH = (M)*(0.02310 liter)

The moles of acid equals the moles of NaOH. You have the information to find M in moles/liter. Very simple algebra.

HALO3 said:
I think the correct/complete formula is :

(M1)(V1)/N1 = (M2)(V2)/N2

where:
M1, M2 = Molarity of the acid and the base
V1, V2 = Volume of the acid used and the mean volume of the base (Na OH)
N1, N2 = No. of moles of acid and base

Your equation is perfectly correct, but only N1 and N2 are missing.

N1 and N2 can be found out by writing the balanced equation of the Titration.

I hope i have helped. If i am wrong please correct me.

Actually, (M1)(V1) = N1 if M1 is in moles/liter and V1 is in liters. Thus the expression (M1)(V1)/N1 is equal to 1. The same goes for M2, V2 and N2. The resulting expression (my favorite, 1=1) is always true.

1. What is a titration and how is it used in chemistry?

A titration is a laboratory technique used to determine the concentration of a solution by reacting it with a solution of known concentration. It involves adding a measured volume of the known solution (called the titrant) to the unknown solution until the reaction is complete, as indicated by a color change or other signal. The volume of titrant used is then used to calculate the concentration of the unknown solution.

2. Why is it important to find the unknown molarity in a titration?

Knowing the unknown molarity allows us to accurately measure the concentration of a solution, which is crucial in many chemical reactions and experiments. It also allows us to determine the amount of a substance present in a solution, which is important in industries such as pharmaceuticals and environmental testing.

3. What are the key components needed for a successful titration?

The key components for a successful titration include a burette, which is used to measure and dispense the titrant; a flask or beaker to hold the unknown solution; an indicator, which signals when the reaction is complete; and a standardized solution of known concentration to use as the titrant. It is also important to have accurate measuring tools and precise techniques to ensure reliable results.

4. How do you calculate the unknown molarity in a titration?

The unknown molarity can be calculated using the formula M1V1 = M2V2, where M1 is the molarity of the titrant, V1 is the volume of titrant used, M2 is the molarity of the unknown solution, and V2 is the volume of the unknown solution. By rearranging the equation, we can solve for M2 and determine the unknown molarity.

5. What are some sources of error that can affect the accuracy of a titration?

Sources of error in a titration can include inaccurate measurements, improper technique, air bubbles in the burette or flask, and human error in identifying the endpoint of the reaction. It is important to minimize these errors by using precise equipment and following proper procedures, and to repeat the titration multiple times to ensure accurate results.