Chem/Math Help: Solving Glaucoma Rx

• Thread starter Zed
  • Start date
In summary, the pharmacist should use 0.1x+0.01y=0.08ml of the 10% solution to fill the prescription for the glaucoma patient.
Zed
Chem/Math ! Help !

Hi ,

This is a Hw question i have am stuck on i don't know how to solve it ...

A pharmacist is to prepare 16 milliliters of special eye drops for a glaucoma patient. The eye-drop solution must have a 5% active ingredient, but the pharmacist only has 10% solution and 1% solution in stock.

How much of 10% solution should be used to fill the prescription?

How much of 1% solution should be used to fill the prescription?

please help

thx

Physics news on Phys.org
Let x be the amount of 10% solution, in ml, and let y be the amount of 1% solution, also in ml.

"A pharmacist is to prepare 16 milliliters of special eye drops for a glaucoma patient. "
So x+ y= 16

"The eye-drop solution must have a 5% active ingredient"
In other words, the amount of the active ingredient must be 5% of 16 ml= 0.005*16= 0.08 ml.
The amount of active ingredient in x ml of a 10% solution is 0.1x.
The amount of active ingredient in y ml of a 1% solution is 0.01y

We must have 0.1x+ 0.01y= 0.08.

Solve x+ y= 16 and 0.1x+ 0.01y= 0.08 for x and y.

Shouldn't that be 0.05*16=0.8?

HallsofIvy said:
Let x be the amount of 10% solution, in ml, and let y be the amount of 1% solution, also in ml.

"A pharmacist is to prepare 16 milliliters of special eye drops for a glaucoma patient. "
So x+ y= 16

"The eye-drop solution must have a 5% active ingredient"
In other words, the amount of the active ingredient must be 5% of 16 ml= 0.005*16= 0.08 ml.
The amount of active ingredient in x ml of a 10% solution is 0.1x.
The amount of active ingredient in y ml of a 1% solution is 0.01y

We must have 0.1x+ 0.01y= 0.08.

Solve x+ y= 16 and 0.1x+ 0.01y= 0.08 for x and y.

thankx for ur reply ...

after solving it i got 0.8/0.09 but still its giving me answer wrong :S.. i tried solving this way before too still wrong.. although it says to write the answer as an improper fraction. how can i write a decimal as an improper fraction !

thx

Note i did use 5% of 16 as 0.8 so..i don't thinkt hats the problem

ok i found x and it turned out to be correct 7.111111111 which is equivelant to 7 and 1/9 as a mixed number...

am found y but its giving me wrong answer.. please tell me if am getting y wrong... i got y to be 8.888888889

apmcavoy said:
Shouldn't that be 0.05*16=0.8?

Hey, arithmetic isn't my strong suit!

(And I couldn't find my calculator.)

1. How does glaucoma medication work?

Glaucoma medication works by reducing the pressure inside the eye, known as intraocular pressure (IOP). This pressure is caused by a buildup of fluid in the eye, which can damage the optic nerve and lead to vision loss. The medication either decreases the production of fluid in the eye or increases the drainage of fluid, resulting in a lower IOP.

2. What are the different types of glaucoma medication?

There are several types of glaucoma medication, including eye drops, oral medications, and in some cases, surgery. Eye drops are the most common form of treatment and are used to lower IOP. Oral medications are typically prescribed for those with severe glaucoma or who do not respond well to eye drops. Surgery is usually reserved for cases where medication and other treatments have been unsuccessful.

3. Are there any side effects of glaucoma medication?

Like any medication, glaucoma medication can have side effects. The most common side effects include eye irritation, redness, and a change in eye color. Some people may also experience side effects such as blurred vision, headaches, or dry mouth. It is important to talk to your doctor if you experience any side effects from your glaucoma medication.

4. How do I know if my glaucoma medication is working?

Your eye doctor will monitor your IOP regularly to determine if your glaucoma medication is working. They may also perform tests to check for any changes in your vision. If your IOP remains at a safe level and your vision is stable, it is a good sign that your medication is working. However, it is important to continue taking your medication as prescribed, even if you are not experiencing any symptoms.

5. Can glaucoma medication cure my condition?

Unfortunately, there is currently no cure for glaucoma. However, medication can effectively manage the condition and slow its progression. It is important to continue taking your medication as prescribed and attend regular check-ups with your eye doctor to monitor your condition. Early detection and treatment are key in managing glaucoma and preventing vision loss.