Chem potential for adsorbed molecule from partition function

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the chemical potential for gas molecules adsorbed onto a surface using the canonical ensemble and the molecular partition function. The approach involves equating the partition functions for the gas and adsorbed molecules, and taking the derivative of the adsorbed molecule's energy with respect to the number of molecules. The final calculation should also account for the indistinguishability and number of ways to adsorb onto the surface.
magnesium12

Homework Statement

Consider a gas in equilibrium with a surface. The surface can adsorb the gas molecules onto any of M independent, distinguishable sites. The molecular partition function for an adsorbed molecule is q(T) ≡ exp[−β A_surface].
a) Assume that the adsorbed molecules are independent and use the canonical ensemble for N adsorbed molecules to compute the chemical potential for the molecules on the surface. Remember to include the number of ways to adsorb the molecules onto the surface. Also remember that the molecules themselves are indistinguishable.

Homework Equations

q(T) ≡ exp[−βAsurface]
Q=∑exp[-βε]
Q=qN
β=1/kbT
μ = (dA/dN)T,V

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the gas is at equilibrium with the surface, the partition functions should be equal so
q(T) = Q
exp[-βA] = ∑exp[-βε]
Take ln of both sides to get:
A = -[∑-βε]/β
But since we are only summing over ε, we can pull β out of the sum so that it cancels out with the one on the bottom and I'm left with A=∑ε and I don't think there's an expression for ε, so this leaves me nowhere.

Am I right in thinking that I have to find an expression for A by equating q and Q?
To get μ from there, I think I just take the derivative with respect to T and correct for indistinguishability and number of ways to adsorb onto the surface by multiplying by M!/N! .

Could someone point me in the right direction if this is totally off base?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Your approach is on the right track, but there are a few things to consider. First, the partition function for the gas molecules in the canonical ensemble would be Q_gas = ∑exp[-βε], where the sum is over all possible energy levels of the gas molecules. This is different from the partition function for the adsorbed molecules, q(T) = exp[-βA_surface], which only considers the energy of the adsorbed molecule on the surface.

To find the chemical potential for the adsorbed molecules, you can use the relation μ = (dA/dN)_T,V, as you mentioned. However, instead of taking the derivative with respect to T, you should take the derivative with respect to N. This will give you the chemical potential for a single adsorbed molecule. Then, you can multiply by M!/N! to account for the indistinguishability and the number of ways to adsorb onto the surface.

Hope this helps! Keep up the good work on your research.

What is chemical potential for adsorbed molecule from partition function?

The chemical potential for an adsorbed molecule from partition function is a measure of the amount of energy required to add one molecule to a surface with other molecules present. It is a thermodynamic quantity that reflects the stability of the adsorbed molecule on the surface.

How is chemical potential for adsorbed molecule from partition function calculated?

The chemical potential for an adsorbed molecule from partition function can be calculated using the Gibbs-Duhem equation, which relates the chemical potential to the pressure, temperature, and number of molecules present. It can also be calculated using statistical mechanics methods, such as the grand canonical ensemble.

What factors affect the chemical potential for adsorbed molecule from partition function?

The chemical potential for an adsorbed molecule from partition function is affected by several factors, including temperature, pressure, surface coverage, and the interactions between the adsorbed molecules and the surface. It can also be influenced by the type of surface and the nature of the adsorbed molecule.

How does the chemical potential for adsorbed molecule from partition function relate to adsorption?

The chemical potential for an adsorbed molecule from partition function is directly related to the process of adsorption. When the chemical potential is positive, it indicates that adsorption is favorable and the molecule will adsorb onto the surface. A negative chemical potential suggests that desorption is favored and the molecule will leave the surface.

Why is the chemical potential for adsorbed molecule from partition function important in surface chemistry?

The chemical potential for an adsorbed molecule from partition function is an important concept in surface chemistry because it provides insights into the thermodynamics of adsorption processes. It helps to understand the stability of adsorbed molecules on surfaces and the factors that influence their adsorption or desorption. It is also useful for predicting and controlling surface reactions and processes.