Calculating Mass of CO Inhaled by a Bartender

• Thread starter jdhutto
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, the problem asks for the mass of CO inhaled by a bartender during a 9.0 hour shift in a smoky bar with a concentration of 4.3 x 10^-6 mol/L. Using the bartender's respiration rate of 13 L/min, the mass of CO can be calculated by converting the concentration to moles per minute and then multiplying by the total minutes in 9.0 hours. Care must be taken to properly account for the negative exponent in the concentration value.
jdhutto

Homework Statement

Air in a smoky bar contains 4.3 10-6 mol/L of CO. What mass of CO is inhaled by a bartender who respires at a rate of 13 L/min during an 9.0 h shift?

in g

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Can someone let me know what steps to take with this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Firstly, you need to learn to convert between grams and moles etc. Do you have a textbook? I'm sure there are examples in there. Do you know how to use the periodic table? You need to show some effort in figuring this out. Take a good look at your notes and see what you can come up with.

I understand how to convert from moles to grams, etc I am just not sure how i would take the CO amount then throw in the amount he inhales and how many hours to figure it out.

Once you've figured out the mass of CO in one litre, you can figure out how much CO he breathes in one minute because you know how many litres he breathes in one minute.

I have a total of 3.02 e10 moles he takes in so would i just need to convert that to grams?

8.46 e11 g does that sound reasonable

I think the 8.46 part is correct, but the magnitude sounds way too big (it isn't e11). The concentration is given as 4.3 x 10^-6 mol/L, not 4.3 x 10^6 mol/L. The minus sign in the exponent is very important!

Thanks yeah i should of picked that up i got that one...can you please help me with one of the others i have posted I am strugglin on those

i got a decimal

1. How is the mass of CO inhaled by a bartender calculated?

The mass of CO inhaled by a bartender can be calculated by using the formula: mass of CO inhaled = volume of air inhaled x concentration of CO in the air.

2. What is the volume of air inhaled by a bartender?

The volume of air inhaled by a bartender can vary depending on factors such as their lung capacity and breathing rate. However, on average, a person inhales about 0.5 liters of air per breath.

3. What is the concentration of CO in the air of a bar?

The concentration of CO in the air of a bar can also vary, but it is typically higher than in outdoor environments due to the presence of tobacco smoke, cooking equipment, and other sources. According to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), the maximum allowable concentration of CO in the air is 50 parts per million (ppm) for an 8-hour workday.

4. Why is it important to calculate the mass of CO inhaled by a bartender?

Calculating the mass of CO inhaled by a bartender is important because CO is a toxic gas that can cause health issues if inhaled in high concentrations. By knowing the amount of CO inhaled, measures can be taken to reduce the risk of exposure and protect the bartender's health.

5. What other factors should be considered when calculating the mass of CO inhaled by a bartender?

When calculating the mass of CO inhaled by a bartender, other factors such as the duration of their shift, the ventilation in the bar, and the number of patrons present should also be taken into account. These can all affect the overall concentration of CO in the air and, therefore, the amount inhaled by the bartender.