Identifying Substances and Agents in a Chemical Reaction

• Thread starter PhysicsNoob88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chem
In summary, the conversation discusses identifying substances oxidized and reduced, as well as oxidizing and reducing agents in a chemical reaction. The first example includes H2O2 as the oxidizing agent and H2CO as the reducing agent, while the second example includes 2CrO3 as the oxidizing agent and 6HI as the reducing agent. The participants are unsure about their answers and are seeking verification.
PhysicsNoob88
Hello, I just have a question regarding this problem. Please tell me if its correct.

I have to identify the substance oxidized, the substance reduced, the oxidizing agent, and the reducing agent.

http://xs109.xs.to/xs109/06462/chem..png

For the first one This is what I believe:

H2O2 = substance oxidized
H202 = Oxidizing agent
H2CO = substance reduced
H2CO = reducing agent

2nd one I believe its:

2CrO3 = substance reduced
2CrO3 = substance oxidized
6HI = oxidizing agent
6HI = substance reduced

I am pretty unsure about these answers, can someone please verify them? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
PhysicsNoob88 said:
Hello, I just have a question regarding this problem. Please tell me if its correct.

I have to identify the substance oxidized, the substance reduced, the oxidizing agent, and the reducing agent.

http://xs109.xs.to/xs109/06462/chem..png

For the first one This is what I believe:

H2O2 = substance oxidized
H202 = Oxidizing agent
H2CO = substance reduced
H2CO = reducing agent

2nd one I believe its:

2CrO3 = substance reduced
6HI = oxidizing agent
6HI = substance reduced

I am pretty unsure about these answers, can someone please verify them? Thanks!
Notice how in the first example, you've named the substance that was oxidized to be the oxidizing agent. In the second example, you named the substance that was reduced to be the oxidizing agent. Not only that, but you said chromium oxide was both reduced and oxidized.

Last edited by a moderator:
oh whoops.

It was supposed to be:

2CrO3 = Oxidizing agent
6HI = substance reduced
6HI = reducing agent

See this problem was supposed to be an example to a problem set assigned but the answers were cut off. Trying to understand this problem so i can use it to answer the others. Any help would be greatly apperciated.

PhysicsNoob88 said:
oh whoops.

It was supposed to be:

2CrO3 = Oxidizing agent
6HI = substance reduced
6HI = reducing agent

See this problem was supposed to be an example to a problem set assigned but the answers were cut off. Trying to understand this problem so i can use it to answer the others. Any help would be greatly apperciated.
Remember that a reducing agent reduces, and an oxidizing agent oxidizes. An agent that reduces can not in itself be reduced.

Draw out each half-reaction (including electron transfer) to determine which substance is oxidized, and vice versa.

I'd suggest taking a look here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redox#Oxidizing_and_reducing_agents

If you are still confused, post again after having attempted those questions again.

geoffjb said:
Remember that a reducing agent reduces, and an oxidizing agent oxidizes. An agent that reduces can not in itself be reduced.

Draw out each half-reaction (including electron transfer) to determine which substance is oxidized, and vice versa.

I'd suggest taking a look here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redox#Oxidizing_and_reducing_agents

If you are still confused, post again after having attempted those questions again.

I gave it another try, I think the first one may be right but I found the 2nd one to be harder (but who knows they might both be wrong :frown:)

H2H02 = Reducing agent,because it is oxidized.
H2CO = Oxidizing agent because it gains an election.
H2CO2 = substance oxidized because it gains an electron.
H20 = Substance reduced ? Not really sure.

6HI = Reducing agent because it losses hydrogen?
2CrO3 = Oxidizing agent
Cr2O3 = Substance oxidized. Lose an electron.
3H2O = substance reduced

Anyone please? I have problem set due tomorrow at 10 AM EST time.. I really need these question verified so i can do the rest. Thanks!

[tex] H_{2}CO [/tex] : reducing agent

[tex] H_{2}O_{2} [/tex]: oxidizing agent

[tex] 2CrO_{3} [/tex]: oxidizing agent

[tex] 6HI [/tex]: reducing agent

^Thanks a bunch.

So would that make

H2C02 - substance oxidized
H20 - substance oxidized

&

Cr2o3 - substanced oxidized
3H20 - substanced reduced

Thanks!

1. What is the definition of a chemical reaction?

A chemical reaction is a process in which one or more substances (reactants) are converted into one or more different substances (products) with different properties.

2. How do you balance a chemical equation?

A chemical equation is balanced by making sure that the number of each type of atom is equal on both sides of the equation. This is done by adjusting the coefficients (numbers in front of each substance) until the number of atoms is the same on both sides.

3. What is the difference between an element and a compound?

An element is a pure substance made up of only one type of atom, while a compound is a substance made up of two or more different types of atoms chemically bonded together.

4. What is the difference between an exothermic and endothermic reaction?

An exothermic reaction releases heat energy to the surroundings, while an endothermic reaction absorbs heat energy from the surroundings. Exothermic reactions often feel hot, while endothermic reactions feel cold.

5. How do you calculate the molar mass of a substance?

The molar mass of a substance is calculated by adding up the atomic masses of all the atoms in its chemical formula. This can be found on the periodic table, and the units are in grams per mole (g/mol).