1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chem Question

1. Apr 13, 2005 #1
    Lets say you want to find the molar volume of a gas ([tex] H_{2} [/tex] specifically). So you basically use a [tex] Mg [/tex] ribbon and find the volume of the [tex] H_{2} [/tex] gas in a test tube with the [tex] Mg [/tex] ribbon. The water fizzes and bubbles. I am having trouble finding the volume of [tex] H_{2} [/tex] at STP. I used the formula: [tex] V_{1} = \frac{P_{1}}{T_{1}} \times \frac{T_{2}}{P_{2}} [/tex]. After plugging in experimental values I got 1.234. Does this make sense? What units is this in. To find the molar volume I know that I do the moles of H_2 gas divided by the volume of H_2 gas. Does it make sense to only have 0.0025 moles of H_{2} gas reacted? Because I se a Mg strip that was 1.20 grams.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 13, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2005 #2
    Is that the combined gas equation?

[tex]\frac{p_{1} V_{1}}{T_{1}} = \frac{p_{2} V_{2}}{T_{2}} [/tex]

Molar volume is the gas' volume divided by the moles of gas.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?