Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chem question

1. Oct 30, 2003 #1
    what would you say chemistry is in the most defined definition?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2003 #2
    Just off the top of my head I would say the study of atoms, molecules, and subatomic particles on a system and how they react to surroundings and eachother. Physics and chemistry have a lot of overlap.

The dictionary definition is as follows:

"That branch of science which treats of the composition of substances, and of the changes which they undergo in consequence of alterations in the constitution of the molecules, which depend upon variations of the number, kind, or mode of arrangement, of the constituent atoms. These atoms are not assumed to be indivisible, but merely the finest grade of subdivision hitherto attained. Chemistry deals with the changes in the composition and constitution of molecules."

I believe that is quoted out of Websters.

4. Oct 31, 2003 #3
    For a simple definition,

"The molecular nature of matter and change"

5. Nov 12, 2003 #4
    I wasn't under the impression we were obligated to read all the threads.

6. Nov 12, 2003 #5

FZ+

Yes you are!

*Breaks out whip...*

I think of chemistry as an attempt to describe the collective interactive behaviour of atom-groups with respect to electromagnetism.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?