Chemistry: A Precise Definition

In summary, chemistry is the study of atoms, molecules, and subatomic particles and how they interact with each other and their surroundings. It overlaps with physics and is defined as the branch of science that deals with the composition and changes of substances at the molecular level.
mikelus
what would you say chemistry is in the most defined definition?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Just off the top of my head I would say the study of atoms, molecules, and subatomic particles on a system and how they react to surroundings and each other. Physics and chemistry have a lot of overlap.

The dictionary definition is as follows:

"That branch of science which treats of the composition of substances, and of the changes which they undergo in consequence of alterations in the constitution of the molecules, which depend upon variations of the number, kind, or mode of arrangement, of the constituent atoms. These atoms are not assumed to be indivisible, but merely the finest grade of subdivision hitherto attained. Chemistry deals with the changes in the composition and constitution of molecules."

I believe that is quoted out of Websters.

For a simple definition,

"The molecular nature of matter and change"

I wasn't under the impression we were obligated to read all the threads.

Yes you are!

*Breaks out whip...*

I think of chemistry as an attempt to describe the collective interactive behaviour of atom-groups with respect to electromagnetism.

1. What is the definition of chemistry?

Chemistry is the scientific study of matter, its properties, and the changes it undergoes. It involves the study of atoms, molecules, and their interactions to understand the composition, structure, and behavior of substances.

2. Why is chemistry considered an important science?

Chemistry is considered an important science because it helps us understand the world around us and provides the foundation for other scientific fields such as biology, physics, and geology. It also has practical applications in industries such as medicine, agriculture, and technology.

3. How is chemistry related to other sciences?

Chemistry is closely related to other sciences such as biology, physics, and geology. It provides the basic understanding of the composition and behavior of matter, which is essential for these other sciences to function.

4. What are the main branches of chemistry?

The main branches of chemistry are organic chemistry, inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, analytical chemistry, and biochemistry. These branches focus on different aspects of chemistry, such as the study of carbon-containing molecules, non-carbon-containing substances, the behavior of substances, and the analysis of chemical compounds.

5. How does chemistry impact our daily lives?

Chemistry has a significant impact on our daily lives. It is involved in everything from the food we eat to the products we use, such as medicines, cosmetics, and cleaning agents. It also plays a crucial role in environmental issues, such as air and water pollution, and the development of sustainable technologies.