1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chem resource

1. Aug 26, 2012 #1
    hello!

I need a chemistry book or online resource or anything, that will go from the very basics (as if the reader doesnt have much math, phys, chem, background) to the most possible depth of knowledge

it surely must be accurate and comprehensive

but what I really want is to be consice

I read so many textbooks, and almost all need a whole paragraph to say something that can be said in one sentence! or even better in one diagram or table!

can you suggest me any?

thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2012 #2
    That book doesn't exist.

If you want recommendations on inorganic, organic, physical and analytical chemistry books of various degrees of difficulty that could be done.

But there is no book that covers all areas chemistry, assuming no knowledge, and ends up 'at the most possible depth of knowledge.'

4. Aug 26, 2012 #3
    thats impossible.

there isn't even one book that can do this for physical chemistry. there's usually a big "physical chemistry" textbook at the upper division undergrad level but in grad school they still split it up into quantum mechanics, molecular spectroscopy and statistical mechanics.

and in these fields, there's usually more than 1 book at different levels, ranging from "introductory" graduate level to research level papers, and with different flavors, ranging from lots of formalism aimed at theory students, and more applied books (not to say there's few derivations in them though; even the most "applied" books at the grad level have lots of formalism by undergrad standards).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook