Solve Chem Word Problem: 16 mL 5% Eye Drops

In summary, the conversation is about a chemistry word problem involving the preparation of eye drops with a 5% active ingredient using 10% and 1% solutions. The question asks how much of each solution should be used to fill a 16 ml prescription. The solution to the problem involves solving an equation to find the appropriate amount of each solution.
Zed
chem word problem ! please help

Hi ,

This is a Hw question i have am stuck on i don't know how to solve it ...

A pharmacist is to prepare 16 milliliters of special eye drops for a glaucoma patient. The eye-drop solution must have a 5% active ingredient, but the pharmacist only has 10% solution and 1% solution in stock.

How much of 10% solution should be used to fill the prescription?

How much of 1% solution should be used to fill the prescription?

please help

thx

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Borek said:
For theory:

http://www.chembuddy.com/?left=concentration&right=dilution-mixing

As the densities are not known, assume them to be 1 g/mL.

For fast calculations - try CASC (concentration calculator).

Borek
--
Chemical calculators at www.chembuddy.com
pH calculation
concentration conversion

thanks for ur reply... but i should solve this as a math word prolem not as a chemistry problem .. i mean an equation of the form : 0.03x + 0.10(16-x)= ...

Assume the pharmacist uses x ml of 10% solution and 16 - x ml of 1% solution. Compare the total volume of active ingredient with the required number and solve for x.

1. What is the concentration of the eye drops?

The concentration of the eye drops is 5%, meaning that there is 5% of the active ingredient in 100 mL of the solution. This is a common unit for expressing concentrations in chemistry.

2. How much of the solution should be administered to the patient?

To determine the amount of solution that should be administered, we need to calculate the amount of active ingredient present in 16 mL of the solution. This can be done by multiplying 16 mL by 5% (0.05) to get 0.8 mL of active ingredient. Therefore, 0.8 mL of the eye drops should be administered to the patient.

3. Can the concentration of the eye drops be changed?

Yes, the concentration of the eye drops can be changed by altering the ratio of active ingredient to total solution. However, it is important to consult a pharmacist or doctor before changing the concentration of any medication.

4. How do I convert mL to drops?

There is no precise conversion between mL and drops, as the size and shape of droplets can vary. However, a general guideline is that 20 drops equal 1 mL. It is important to follow the specific instructions provided by the manufacturer or healthcare professional when administering eye drops.

5. What does the 16 mL represent in this problem?

The 16 mL represents the volume of the eye drop solution that is available for use. This is a common unit for measuring volumes in chemistry and medicine.