1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ChemE books

1. Jan 12, 2005 #1

cronxeh

Gold Member

Why are all Chemical Engineering books at least a $100 or more, while Applied Physics books go for around 20-30 bucks a piece?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2005 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Because Chemical Engineers know how to make money and Applied Physicists are in it for their own gratification.

4. Jan 12, 2005 #3

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I was told by a chem-e friend that chem-e's make more money than other engineers, and have shorter life spans (from inhaling all those chemicals).

5. Jan 13, 2005 #4

cronxeh

Gold Member

yes well i switched from ChemE to MechE and the difference between the two is merely +5k for ChemE in salary a year.

The point about the books is that in both instances the material is practically the same - fluid dynamics, mass/energy transfer, etc. Yet applied physics books are cheap and have more in-depth theorital material, while ChemE books usually have examples with some theory, which isnt always even explained in terms of how it was achieved.

6. Jan 13, 2005 #5

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...urceid=1500000000000001827190&dest=9999999997

http://www.alibris.com/search/detai...8165413227&pqtynew=0&page=1&matches=2&qsort=r

Couple classics in physical chemistry --- "kwitcher belly-aching." Book prices are set by what the market will bear, position on the best seller lists, and by publication "set-up" costs --- anything less than some minimum number printed really runs up the price --- chem Es never pay for books out of pocket (this is the assumption in pricing), employers buy the books, or the taxpayers cover the costs as "professional expenses" deductions. Best-sellers? Technical books are bestsellers?

H, C, & B (the green monster) is a classic --- the price reflects it --- $600? Yikes! I gotta buy a "book vault." Harned & Owen? 'Nother classic. Out of print --- used to be an ACS "cash cow" --- got nicked sumpin' 'tween 50 - 100 bucks 30 years ago --- it hasn't appreciated quite as much.

7. Jan 13, 2005 #6

cronxeh

Gold Member

I was talking to a guy who was doing graduate study in ChemE and he told me that ChemE is overresearched. Is there any truth to this?

8. Jan 13, 2005 #7

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is more a question for academic and career guidance --- "overresearched?" That's what everyone says when the project vanishes around the corner in the toilet --- another 2-3 years work staring you in the face, digging out the literature, reading, getting back up to speed, equipment, apparatus construction/set-up, wrangling with the thesis committee, TAing for money, dumpster diving for food, furniture, and clothes ------ eevvveeerrrryyyyything is "overresearched."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?