Undergrad ChemE Major: How Difficult is it?

In summary, the ChemE major is known to be difficult and requires a significant amount of studying. There are exams that are nearly impossible to get an A on and the average for some classes can be as low as 40%. To succeed, students must be prepared to study every day and pull many all-nighters. However, the degree is versatile and can lead to various job opportunities. Joining organizations like AIChE can also be helpful for networking and finding internships and jobs. While it may require some time away from studies, it can also be beneficial in the long run. Overall, the ChemE degree is challenging but can lead to a successful career.
undrcvrbro
I will be a freshman ChemE student next fall and I understand that it is a difficult major, but I was wondering just how difficult it was. How many hours a week did you spend studying in your undergraduate years? Were the tests for some of the courses impossibly hard(i.e. the tests were so complex and the material covered so much that it was nearly impossible to get and A)? I'm an above average student, and I consider myself capable, but I just don't want to get in way over my head.

Engineering news on Phys.org
define above average student.

how are you quantitatively? SAT math section is a good indicator.

if you are good at math and science then you will be able to get the chemE degree, however, it is very tough and yes, there are exams that you have no chance of getting an A on. I have taken classes where the exam average is ~40%, sometimes even lower. that is not to say that the professor failed everyone though.

you will have to study everyday if you want to make good grades. to come to class prepared, homework completed, energized to take notes, etc. is a daunting task. on the other hand if you are satisfied with average grades, you can just cram for tests and do well enough to pass the classes. either way, be prepared to pull many "all nighters."

this degree is the hardest thing i have ever done in my entire life. is it worth it? yes and no. i feel like my time could have been better spent, but i can't think of anything else i would have done. i definitely think differently about things now that i have been trained in engineering.

lewdtenant said:
this degree is the hardest thing i have ever done in my entire life. is it worth it? yes and no. i feel like my time could have been better spent, but i can't think of anything else i would have done. i definitely think differently about things now that i have been trained in engineering.

If you don't mind me asking, why wasn't it worth it? Do you not enjoy your job?

ah, perhaps i have misled you. i am graduating this semester. this is my last week of classes. i don't have a job lined up yet, but there are countless things i could do with this degree and i am grateful for that.

ahh the stress.. too much to do, never enough time...

ok ok i guess it is worth it because i will have a pretty good job, right?

lewdtenant said:
ah, perhaps i have misled you. i am graduating this semester. this is my last week of classes. i don't have a job lined up yet, but there are countless things i could do with this degree and i am grateful for that.

ahh the stress.. too much to do, never enough time...

ok ok i guess it is worth it because i will have a pretty good job, right?

Yes, I definitely thought you were already employed. That changes everything. I knew the course work was horrible, and if I had to guess, I would assume that most ChemE students get a little set back by the hard work at some point in their academic endeavors. Good luck with landing a job! I'm sure it won't be too difficult, as you said, the degree is very versatile.

The coursework for me wasn't that bad. You should find out what ChE organizations (AIChE, for example) there are at your university, join and get involved, because there are many who have taken the courses you will take and can definitely provide you with the help you need to do well in tough classes.

simplelogic said:
The coursework for me wasn't that bad. You should find out what ChE organizations (AIChE, for example) there are at your university, join and get involved, because there are many who have taken the courses you will take and can definitely provide you with the help you need to do well in tough classes.

I've actually looked into that before and there is a AIChE group at my school. Wouldn't a group like that take a lot of time away from my studies though?

undrcvrbro said:
I've actually looked into that before and there is a AIChE group at my school. Wouldn't a group like that take a lot of time away from my studies though?

No, it won't take a lot of time away from your studies - though it is your choice how active you choose to be in the group. I have peers who attended conventions and competed in events (race car project, for example, and won first place) and still do well in their classes. While keeping up with your studies is important, networking will help you get an internship/job in the field. And sometimes, if you're lucky, your interviewer may just be someone you know! Also, you may know that AIChE isn't just a local organization at your school.

simplelogic said:
No, it won't take a lot of time away from your studies - though it is your choice how active you choose to be in the group. I have peers who attended conventions and competed in events (race car project, for example, and won first place) and still do well in their classes. While keeping up with your studies is important, networking will help you get an internship/job in the field. And sometimes, if you're lucky, your interviewer may just be someone you know! Also, you may know that AIChE isn't just a local organization at your school.

AIChE sounds like it would really be beneficial not just while in college but even after. I'm seriously considering joining next fall. I could use a good social network in a school with 20,000 + people.

undrcvrbro said:
I will be a freshman ChemE student next fall and I understand that it is a difficult major, but I was wondering just how difficult it was. How many hours a week did you spend studying in your undergraduate years? Were the tests for some of the courses impossibly hard(i.e. the tests were so complex and the material covered so much that it was nearly impossible to get and A)? I'm an above average student, and I consider myself capable, but I just don't want to get in way over my head.

I am currently studying towards a ChemE with additional physics (and mathematics) in sweden. (You could call it ChemE with a lot of theory).

Some tests are impossible to get the highest grade on, that is true. But it all come downs to one thing, namely time spent on the subject. A grade is only a grade. A good grade is nice, but it isn't the most important thing. The most important thing is your total, that will be your EC's (extra curriculars) and your grades. Besides being a social person :smile:

I usually spend around 55-60 hours a week doing my EC (head of purchasing at a local pub) and studying towards my master in ChemE (my major will probably be material physics or nanotechnology).

Fearless said:
I am currently studying towards a ChemE with additional physics (and mathematics) in sweden. (You could call it ChemE with a lot of theory).

Some tests are impossible to get the highest grade on, that is true. But it all come downs to one thing, namely time spent on the subject. A grade is only a grade. A good grade is nice, but it isn't the most important thing. The most important thing is your total, that will be your EC's (extra curriculars) and your grades. Besides being a social person :smile:

I usually spend around 55-60 hours a week doing my EC (head of purchasing at a local pub) and studying towards my master in ChemE (my major will probably be material physics or nanotechnology).

Wow, impressive. Spending 55-60 hours a week studying and doing EC's is pretty extensive, I suppose Fearless is a fitting name. I believe EC's are less important (though still important) here in the U.S, at least when compared to research and experience in the workforce. But your point still stands, grades are not everything.

Oh, and I could work on the whole social aspect as well.

Good luck with your studies. But from the sound of it, you don't need it.

1. What is the difficulty level of an undergraduate Chemical Engineering major?

The difficulty level of an undergraduate Chemical Engineering major can vary depending on the individual's study habits, aptitude for the subject, and the specific curriculum of the university. However, in general, Chemical Engineering is considered a challenging and rigorous major that requires a strong foundation in math, physics, and chemistry.

2. How does the difficulty of a Chemical Engineering major compare to other engineering majors?

Chemical Engineering is often considered one of the more difficult engineering majors, along with Mechanical Engineering and Electrical Engineering. This is because it requires a strong understanding of both chemistry and engineering principles, and often involves complex problem-solving and critical thinking skills.

3. What are some common challenges that students face in a Chemical Engineering major?

Some common challenges that students face in a Chemical Engineering major include the heavy workload, complex problem-solving, and the need for a strong foundation in math and science. Additionally, many students struggle with the transition from high school to college and the increased level of independence and responsibility that comes with it.

4. Is it possible to maintain a good GPA while majoring in Chemical Engineering?

While maintaining a good GPA can be challenging in any major, it is certainly possible to do so in Chemical Engineering. It requires dedication, hard work, and effective time management skills. Additionally, seeking help from professors, tutors, and study groups can also greatly aid in maintaining a good GPA.

5. Are there any tips for succeeding in a Chemical Engineering major?

Some tips for succeeding in a Chemical Engineering major include staying organized and managing your time effectively, seeking help when needed, actively participating in class and completing assignments on time, and building strong relationships with professors and peers. Additionally, maintaining a healthy work-life balance and taking care of your mental and physical well-being is also crucial for success in any major.