1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemical and Thermal Physics

1. Feb 25, 2012 #1
    Are there any major questions yet to be solved in these fields?
    Also where exactly does thermodynamics, heat fit into physics?Thermal Physics?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2012 #2
    Hi absurdist! AFAIK, thermodynamics is a part of physics, and a part of the broader field thermal physics. I don't know of any open questions in pure thermal physics, but I'm sure there must be some. Here is a really big open question related to thermodynamics: Entropy (arrow of time); "Why did the universe have such low entropy in the past, resulting in the distinction between past and future and the second law of thermodynamics?"

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  4. Feb 27, 2012 #3
    I think your example is more Astrophysics, you'd probably need background in astronomy/cosmology, I suppose. I am beginning to think most of the theories have been proven to the extent of no further fundamental discoveries. Now there's only room for applied research.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook