Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemical aspects of LSD-25

1. Jun 8, 2010 #1
    First off, let me make this clear, I am not: promoting the use of drugs or asking how to synthesize LSD-25.

I've become curious about the chemical aspects of LSD-25, such as, how does this drug actually affect the central nervouse system, why does it have such dramatic affects on the minds of people who have used it, and why it may bring out schizophrenia in users.

All the information I've found is very basic information and isn't really what I'm looking for, I can't seem to find any site that talks that much about the neuropharmacology of this substance.

Does anybody have any good learning sources.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2010 #2
    Re: Lsd-25

try a pubmed search for "lsd-25 review" and limit to free full text

4. Jun 9, 2010 #3

It's simple. You into chemistry right? LSD looks like the neurotransmitter dopamine (or maybe it's another one). But don't take my word for it. Look up the structure of LSD and a few neurotransmitters (bet a dollar it's dopamine though). Very similar arent' they. So LSD causes neural transmissions and its presence in the synapse competes with the normal transmitter and interferes with normal nerve impulses leading to hallucinations..

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  5. Jun 9, 2010 #4

I understand that, and actually the neurotransmitter is serotonin. I want a more in depth explanation than that. I'm searching all over erowid.org right now.

6. Jun 10, 2010 #5

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Erowid.org won't help you at all unless you want a recipe. Even then, at your own risk.

Try googling "LSD mechanism". Lots of information for proposed mechanism but apparently no one knows for sure. Does anyone really know the full mechanism of something as wildly complex as an hallucination?

7. Jun 11, 2010 #6

Probably not, I suppose it has as much to do with neuroscience as it does with organic chemistry.

I try Googling it on Google scholar and normal Google.

And yeah, all I got from erowid was recipes and the basic chemical structure, not to mention a list of effects of taking it.

8. Jun 11, 2010 #7

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Oh, you got more than that! You are officially on the DEA and FBI's list now. Welcome to the club...

9. Jun 11, 2010 #8

Are you joking? Please tell me you are. I couldn't, you could be joking but I didn't see one of these: :biggrin:

10. Jun 11, 2010 #9

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I never kid about the FBI.

http://www.erowid.org/psychoactives/law/law_article11.shtml

You didn't download Shulgin's book, did you? That might be really bad.

Oh yeah...:rofl: doesn't change anything. They still know who you are.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  11. Jun 11, 2010 #10

i'd expect the FBI to be more concerned about people seeking out real chemistry sites than a few hippies reading about mushrooms.

12. Jun 11, 2010 #11

Thankfully, I didn't.

What would a real chemistry site be?

13. Jun 11, 2010 #12

what do i look like, a terrorist?

people do occasionally come in here looking for info on rocket propellants and such.

14. Jul 16, 2010 #13

lsd is a 5-HT2A receptor agonist. you should learn what this means and maybe read about the different receptors and compare the structures of their agonists. personally i dont know much about any of htis

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook