Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemical bounding

1. Jan 12, 2005 #1
    In a molecule, let's say NaOH, the Na is a positive ion and the OH a negative one. How can a molecule, OH, be negative. The binding between the O and the hydrogen is, I think, colvalent. But doesn't that mean that the OH-group is charged? And how can that group binds to the other and be NaOH?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is negative souly to the fact that one of the unpaired electrons from the oxygen atom is not hooked up in any bond.The other one is hooked up with the electron from the H atom in a covalent bond.
    So basically,OH has an unpaired electron,which means a "-" net charge.What u call "molecule",is actually a radical,molecules,IIRC are electrically neutral...

4. Jan 12, 2005 #3
    Can you develop your last sentence; I don't get it, maybe because me English sucks.

This's kind of new to me. Can you redirect me to a good website (yes, I've checed the Chemestry Napster).
  5. Jan 12, 2005 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

He is saying that [itex]OH^-[/itex] is not a molecule. To be a molecule, it has to be electrically neutral.
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2005
  6. Jan 12, 2005 #5
    What's it then. My teacher's saying it's stable and can exist freely.
  7. Jan 12, 2005 #6
    If I am correct, it would be a negative ion.

The Bob (2004 ©)
  8. Jan 12, 2005 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is stable, and can exist freely (under certain conditions - such as in an equeous solution). But that doesn't make it a molecule. To be a molecule, it must be neutral.

It is refered to as a 'radical' or ion. In this case, it is a negatively charged radical, with 1 excess electron.
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?