Chemical burn

  • Thread starter JGM_14
  • Start date
  • #26
17
0
i have learned on first hand account that .. if HCl spills on you wash it off with a base (soap) but if not done in enough time.. your skill will turn yellow and you may get a few bumps because of it. but nothing to worry about (if handled almost imediately)
 
  • #27
95
0
HF is not a strong acid which makes it fairly easy to absorb right through your skin into your tissues. The burns it leaves are deep and dangerous. I've heard that it doesn't stop moving until it hits bone (and forms CaF2). That's a deeeeep burn. Get enough on you and your life is in danger. HF or any fluoride salt sequesters Ca+2 ions in your tissues and can stop your heart!
I heard a story once about a container of HF that someone had disposed of in the curbside trash. Well when the trash collectors came to collect the trash, the bottle of HF accidentally broke open and spilled on the one guy. (Don't how much).

I think it took him 2 mos. to die.

I've breathed (in the past) the vapours of HF excessively from time to time working with stainless steel. And I'm quite amazed I am not f***ed in some way, knowing what I know now about it.

Jim
 
  • #28
mrjeffy321
Science Advisor
875
0
I have long heard that Hydrofluoric acid is (one of) the most painful acids to be burned with. How much truth is there to this?
Once its gets on you, it can be absorbed into your body and do a lot of damage to your bones and teeth. It’s a weak acid, but not a good idea to play with.
 
  • #29
mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
7,744
12
I have long heard that Hydrofluoric acid is (one of) the most painful acids to be burned with. How much truth is there to this?
I don't think so - it's quite a weak acid and one of the dangers is that you don't feel much until it gets through to the other side.

Once its gets on you, it can be absorbed into your body and do a lot of damage to your bones and teeth.
Usually it kills you by binding all the calcium ions in your blood that is keeping your heart beating before it can do any damage to your teeth/bones.
 
  • #30
95
0
I don't think so - it's quite a weak acid and one of the dangers is that you don't feel much until it gets through to the other side.
I would tend to think anthing that burns through to the other side has gotta hurt.

Might not sting as much right away, but in the long run. Hmmmmm

I got that junk under my fingernails one time and it did not stop burning for a long, long time. And no amount of washing seemed to do any good.
Thank God it was not conc. HF.

Jim
 

Related Threads for: Chemical burn

  • Last Post
Replies
2
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
4
Views
3K
  • Last Post
Replies
9
Views
4K
  • Last Post
Replies
6
Views
30K
Replies
2
Views
5K
Replies
3
Views
5K
  • Last Post
Replies
8
Views
8K
  • Last Post
Replies
12
Views
7K
Top