Understanding Chemical Cells: Questions & Answers

In summary, the conversation revolved around understanding the chemistry of cells and voltage. The first question asked about the absence of voltage when only a copper wire is connected to a multimeter. The second question inquired about the potential for a larger voltage by changing the electrodes, such as using a more concentrated solution or a different type of salt. The third question delved into the concept of zinc atoms giving up electrons in a set-up involving zinc and copper electrodes. The fourth question wondered if there would be any voltage if the zinc electrode was used instead of the copper electrode. The participants also mentioned being in the process of learning about chemical cells and requested additional information and resources.
primarygun
I am trying to understand the chemistry cell thoroughly.
1.If there is only a copper wire connected to a multimeter, there should be no voltage, isn't it?
2. For the set up of a zinc electrode and a copper electrode, will I get a larger voltage by changing the electrode? Such as a more concentrated one, or potassium nitrate instead of magnesium(II) nitrate.
3.Concerning the set-up in no.3, why electrons can be given up by zinc atoms?
My idea: Zinc atom forms ions more readily in solution ( can it be pure water?) than contacted with copper wire.
4. Will there be any voltage if I use the zinc electrode instead copper electrode?
So far, I am learning chemical cells, please tell me some information. Thank you.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Google: electrochemical cells

You will find many good links.

Give some helps please. Busy doing a project.

http://physchem.co.za/Redox/Cu-Zn.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are chemical cells?

Chemical cells are devices that convert chemical energy into electrical energy. They consist of two electrodes, an electrolyte, and a separator, and can be found in batteries and fuel cells.

2. How do chemical cells work?

Chemical cells work by using a chemical reaction to create a flow of electrons between the two electrodes. This flow of electrons is what we know as electricity.

3. What are the different types of chemical cells?

There are several types of chemical cells, including primary cells (non-rechargeable), secondary cells (rechargeable), and fuel cells (continuous supply of reactants). Additionally, there are different types of batteries such as alkaline, lead-acid, and lithium-ion.

4. What factors affect the performance of chemical cells?

The performance of chemical cells can be affected by various factors, including the type of chemical reaction, the materials used in the electrodes and electrolyte, the temperature, and the presence of impurities.

5. How can I extend the lifespan of chemical cells?

To extend the lifespan of chemical cells, it is important to properly store and maintain them. This includes avoiding extreme temperatures, fully discharging and recharging them, and using the correct charger for rechargeable cells. It is also important to use high-quality cells and to dispose of them properly when they are no longer functional.