1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemical effect of electric current

1. Jun 20, 2004 #1
    explain me about ionisation of copper sulphate solution when an electric current is passed through it
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2004 #2

what do you specifically want to know about it?
  4. Jun 21, 2004 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Gza's point is that one can give a general description or a detailed analysis using properties of electrons or anywhere between. I suspect that in your case you are expected to give the description in your textbook just to prove you have read it!
  5. Jun 21, 2004 #4
    chemical effect

i wanted to know how sulphate ion collets at anode and copper at cathode
  6. Jun 21, 2004 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Copper sulphate exists in aqueous solution as a bunch of ions swimming about in water. The ions are [tex]Cu^{2+}~~and ~~(SO_4)^{2-} [/tex]. When you dip a pair of electrodes in the solution and apply a potential (connect a battery) between them, you are essentially charging the electrodes. The cathode becomes negatively charged and the anode, positively charged. Hence the positively charged copper ions get attracted to the (negatively charge) cathode and the negatively charged sulphate ions get pulled towards the (positively charged) anode.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?