• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Chemical engineer how useful would FORTRAN be

• Thread starter omagdon7
  • Start date
As a chemical engineer how useful would FORTRAN be to me. It is listed on the University of Florida's ChemE homepage as a good language, but I have heard it is on its way out.

All Comments Welcome

dlgoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member
I saw your post and just had to reply. I'm not a programmer but I learned fortran way back before there were PCs. I was an engineering student and took the math department course (there was no computer science department then) called Intorduction to Computing. I kept the text for old times sake. It even has a key punch card as a bookmarker (lol).

Anyway to answer your question. In my opinion, if you know BASIC there is no point. There may be a few differences but basically it's structured the same. A high level language.

Regards
Don

omagdon7 said:
As a chemical engineer how useful would FORTRAN be to me. It is listed on the University of Florida's ChemE homepage as a good language, but I have heard it is on its way out.

All Comments Welcome
yeah, that's what i keep on hearing, too.

but, for instance, my friend is doing an REU at u-chicago right now. and she had to use fortran to ...do something particle physics-y.

the advice that i got from my undergrad physics adviser is that it's easy to learn fortran once you have learned c++ but the opposite is not necessarily true.

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
FORTRAN has been on its way out for more years than I can count!

It is still used because so many of the first large math/engineering packages were written in FORTRAN. Actually most C++ compilers (For example. Same for Ada, etc.) allow C++ programs to call FORTRAN subroutines but it is still a good idea to know basic FORTRAN so you will understand the function calling format.

PerennialII

Science Advisor
Gold Member
... and it seems that the later releases are still used, developed and going to be used to such extent that I'm starting to think whether it'll die at all.

Isn't C gaining popularity? It's probably best to learn both, althought I don't know much about chemical engineering.