1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemical engineer how useful would FORTRAN be

1. Jul 30, 2005 #1
    As a chemical engineer how useful would FORTRAN be to me. It is listed on the University of Florida's ChemE homepage as a good language, but I have heard it is on its way out.

All Comments Welcome

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2005 #2

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I saw your post and just had to reply. I'm not a programmer but I learned fortran way back before there were PCs. I was an engineering student and took the math department course (there was no computer science department then) called Intorduction to Computing. I kept the text for old times sake. It even has a key punch card as a bookmarker (lol).

Anyway to answer your question. In my opinion, if you know BASIC there is no point. There may be a few differences but basically it's structured the same. A high level language.

Regards
    Don

4. Jul 31, 2005 #3
    yeah, that's what i keep on hearing, too.

but, for instance, my friend is doing an REU at u-chicago right now. and she had to use fortran to ...do something particle physics-y.

the advice that i got from my undergrad physics adviser is that it's easy to learn fortran once you have learned c++ but the opposite is not necessarily true.

5. Jul 31, 2005 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

FORTRAN has been on its way out for more years than I can count!

It is still used because so many of the first large math/engineering packages were written in FORTRAN. Actually most C++ compilers (For example. Same for Ada, etc.) allow C++ programs to call FORTRAN subroutines but it is still a good idea to know basic FORTRAN so you will understand the function calling format.

6. Jul 31, 2005 #5

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

... and it seems that the later releases are still used, developed and going to be used to such extent that I'm starting to think whether it'll die at all.

7. Jul 31, 2005 #6
    Isn't C gaining popularity? It's probably best to learn both, althought I don't know much about chemical engineering.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?