1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Chemical Engineering

1. Sep 29, 2010 #1
    So I have anida about wanting to major in chemical engineering but Im afraid I might be going into something that I might be underestimating. Can anyone with experience in this field let me know how it is interest wise, because I already know its alot of work but i want to know if you think its enjoyable?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2010 #2
    Its a very broad field. You can get into the full range of industry or research with it. If you have a strong interest in math, physics and chemistry, then chemical engineering is always a good choice.

4. Oct 3, 2010 #3

danago

Gold Member

I am currently half way through my chemical engineering degree, and to be honest it is very different to what i was expecting before i started. I originally went into chemical engineering because i was interested in chemistry and its industrial applications, and while i have found that there is definitely some level of chemistry involved, it is less chemistry and a lot more of studying flow through pipes, heat exchangers, pumps, adsorption columns etc. I dont hate it, and i do find some parts very interesting, however i sometimes think that i may have been more suited to a different degree.

In saying that though, i still have quite a few more courses to complete, some of which include chemical kinetics and reactor design and another in reaction engineering, so i am hoping that those courses are more of what i want to be studying.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook