Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemical equation.

1. Nov 19, 2003 #1
    i know this must be very stupid but can anyone tell me the longest and the toughest chemical equation????

-benzun
    All For God.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2003 #2

ShawnD

Science Advisor

4. Nov 20, 2003 #3
    are you sure it's a chemical equation???

5. Nov 20, 2003 #4
  6. Nov 20, 2003 #5
    Chemistry doesn't work that way. "Tough" is to subjective.

7. Nov 20, 2003 #6

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you mean compound or reaction?

8. Nov 20, 2003 #7

FZ+

Anyone wanna write down the equation for DNA? Pretty tough, eh?

9. Nov 20, 2003 #8
    Well, the equation for DNA is kind of simple.

[tex](Purine/pyrimidine + deoxyribose + phosphate) _{n}[/tex]

Where n is the number of bases in your DNA strand.

The point is, I could write down a chemical reaction showing the functionalization of a C-H bond. Looks simple, right? One of the challenging topics in synthetic organic chemistry is how to accomplish that with stereochemical specificity. I could write down the equations governing various phenomena in solid state NMR, but actually putting them to use to determine a membrane protein structure de novo does not qualify as a trivial extension of such equations. As Chemicalsuperfreak already mentioned, chemistry doesn't work this way. If you'd like to ask what are the challenges in chemistry, that's different. There are plenty, rest assured.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2003
  10. Nov 21, 2003 #9
    I mean........

I mean reaction.

A simple example,

2H2+O2--->2H2O

11. Nov 21, 2003 #10
    Ok i accept tell me the most complicated equation.

12. Nov 21, 2003 #11

Basically that's the same question. You can make an equation as tough as you want it to be. But there's no point. Real chemistry isn't about solving equations stoichiometrically like you do in freshman chemistry.

13. Nov 21, 2003 #12

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd have to disagree, some chemical reactions are very complicated when it comes to the transfer of bonding energies from one atom to the next, creating intermediates, until a new structure is formed.

I still remember organic chemistry and it was really really tough to figure out what the reaction would be like with two given molecules.

14. Nov 21, 2003 #13

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A lenghty reaction would be the biosyntesis of fatty acids, which is composed of 7 discrete steps.

15. Nov 21, 2003 #14

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How about not reactions, but actually molecular machines? I think that ATP synthase is an amazing molecular turbine. I have got a very high grade animation of it (based on crystalogical structures), unfortunately I am unable to share it :((

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?