1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemical Equations Balancing

1. Feb 6, 2006 #1
    Doesn't exist a method alternative to the one done by luck to balance chemical equations? The small equations are easy to balance by luck, but with the long ones I lost a lot of time. Thank you. :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2006 #2

mrjeffy321

Science Advisor

It takes a little bit of practice to get quick at doing it.

Some tips:
    -Balance elements other than Hydrogen and Oxygen first
    -Balance polyatomic ions as a group if they appear on both sides of the reaction
    -Balance seperatly the elements that appear by themselves
    -Use smallest whole-number coefficients

4. Feb 6, 2006 #3
    Thank you for your help, but I am investigating how to do it by a systhem of equations. I will try to remember your tips. More tips are accepted.

5. Feb 6, 2006 #4

mrjeffy321

Science Advisor

6. Feb 6, 2006 #5
    Mm, I don't know about using a more mathmatical approach but the way I do it is relatively easy. I make a simple chart...first, I write down all of the elements I'll be dealing with, then I make two columns. The first one is for how many atoms each element has on the left side of the equation (the reactants) and the second is for how many the right side of the equation (the product) has. That gives me an idea of what I'm dealing with...don't know if it'll help you or not though. ^_^

7. Feb 6, 2006 #6
    mrjeffy321 thank you, this was just what I was looking for. Thank you too, AngelShare, your chart seems very good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?