Chemical equation simplification

• Thread starter Integral0
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemical
In summary: You're done. In summary, the original equation 4CO + 2O2 -> 4CO2 was balanced, and when simplified to 2CO + O2 -> 2CO2, it is still balanced. The mistake in the unbalanced equation CO + O2 -> CO2 comes from not taking into account dividing 1 O2 by 2, which would give 1/2 O2 and make the equation unbalanced.
Integral0
4CO + 2CO2 -> 4CO2 this is Balanced

when I simplify, the simplification doesn't work

2CO + O2 -> 2CO2

3 moles of O2 does not equal 4 Moles of O2

where's my error?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Integral0
4CO + 2CO2 -> 4CO2 this is Balanced

when I simplify, the simplification doesn't work

2CO + O2 -> 2CO2

3 moles of O2 does not equal 4 Moles of O2

where's my error?

I assume your initial reaction was supposed to be:
4CO + 2O2 -> 4CO2 otherwise it didn't start out balanced

In the simplified form, the error is you're mixing up O and O2. Just count O and you get this:
Left side
2 CO = 2C + 2O
1 O2 = 0C + 2O
Total= 2C + 4O

Right side
2 CO2 = 2C + 4O which is the same as the total for the left side.

RE

actually this is the reaction I meant

CO + O2 -> CO2 (Unbalanced)

sorry it was a mistake originally

Last edited:

Originally posted by Integral0
actually this is the reaction I meant

CO + O2 -> CO2 (Unbalanced)

sorry it was a mistake originally

Okay, then look carefully at the original equation.

4CO + 2O2 -> 4CO2

To simplify the equation, you divide by two. This gives you:
2CO + O2 -> 2CO2
This is what you had in your first post as the solution, and it was a correctly balanced equation. You can't simplify any further since you're already down to just one O2 on the left side of the equation. The unbalanced equation you're having trouble with doesn't take into account dividing 1 O2 by 2, which would give you 1/2 O2. This wouldn't be wrong, but it's not any simpler when you start adding fractions, so you stop simplifying before you get to fractions.

1. What is the purpose of simplifying a chemical equation?

Simplifying a chemical equation helps to make it easier to understand and work with. It also allows for the identification of key reactants and products, and can help to balance the equation.

2. How do you simplify a chemical equation?

To simplify a chemical equation, first identify the key reactants and products. Then, combine any coefficients that are common to both sides of the equation. Finally, make sure the equation is balanced by ensuring that the number of atoms of each element is the same on both sides.

3. Why is it important to balance a chemical equation?

Balancing a chemical equation is important because it ensures that the law of conservation of mass is being followed. This law states that matter cannot be created or destroyed, so the number of atoms of each element must be the same on both sides of the equation.

4. Can chemical equations be simplified in different ways?

Yes, chemical equations can be simplified in different ways depending on the context and purpose. Some may choose to use fractional coefficients or combine terms differently, but the end result should always be a balanced equation.

5. When can a chemical equation not be simplified any further?

A chemical equation cannot be simplified any further when it is already balanced and all coefficients are in their simplest form. However, it is always a good idea to double check for any possible errors or oversights.