1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemical equations

1. Jul 5, 2009 #1
    Hey guys, I nd sme help with sme chemical equations that I hve. I've tried different sources but they seem to be contradicting each other. Please help.

1. When Mn(NO3)2 is heated, MnO2 and a brown gas J are formed through decomposition. What is gas J?

I tried to cancel out the similar element that were in MnO2 from Mn(NO3)2 to get N2O4. However, is that gas J or is it 2NO2?

2. MnO2 is added to H2O2. A colourless gas P was released and was found to rekindle a glowing splinter. What is gas P and construct a balanced equation to show the chemical reaction.

I knw that gas P is Oxygen but I'm not sure abt the other products so I'm not rlly sure abt the balanced equation. I think this is it though;
    MnO2 + 2H2O2 --> 2O2 + 2H2O + Mn

It shld be correct. Any help is rlly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2009 #2
    1) J is indeed NO2. (NO2 can dimerise to give N2O4, but that's besides the point)

2) I think you'll actually be getting Mn(OH)2 out of it, but I could be wrong.

4. Jul 8, 2009 #3
    Hey there, I don't rlly think Mn(OH)2 is formed cos. I'm quite sure that H2O is formed. However, I'm not rlly sure. Thnks for the help though.

5. Jul 8, 2009 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

MnO2 just catalyze the reaction - it doesn't change.

6. Jul 8, 2009 #5
    Wait a minute, so MnO2 remains as a product? Pls be clearer, by possibly suggesting another balanced equation if mine is wrong. Thanks.

7. Jul 8, 2009 #6

Borek

Hydrogen peroxide decomposes to water and oxygen.

8. Jul 8, 2009 #7
    Woah, so the balanced eqn. is actually;

MnO2 + 2H2O2 --> O2 + 2H2O + MnO2 ?

9. Jul 8, 2009 #8

Borek

Just 2H2O2 -> 2H2O + O2

You may put MnO2 over reaction arrow, to signal catalyst presence.

10. Jul 9, 2009 #9
    K, thnks vey much for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook