1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemical equilibrium problem pls help reply soon plss

1. Jul 24, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A sol'n contains Cu+2(aq) and Zn+2 ions each at a con'c of 0.1M. Hydrogen sulphide gas is bubbled up into sol'n and dissociates having an initial con'c of 0.1M. Whats the pH of the final solution? Will any precipate form?
    I dont know how to start the problem. Pls help me and reply soon.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2008 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

H2S is a weak diprotic acid. Differences between both dissociation constants are large enough to calculate each dissociation equilibrium separately. You have to check what the pH is (it i will be solely governed by the first dissociation step), use this pH value to calculate S2- concentration, and check if this concetration will be large enough for precipitation (hint: look for Kso values).

For more details see this page on the pH of polyprotic substance calculation.

4. Jul 24, 2008 #3
    thanks for your reply Borek,

can u tell equation of this equilibrium problem so that i can solve it further. THat would be really helpful.
    Once again, thanks for your reply.

5. Jul 24, 2008 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

All equations that you need to calculate pH of the solution and S2-[/sup concentration are listed on my site.

6. Jul 31, 2008 #5

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you still having problems with this question?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?