1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemical Equilibrium Problem

1. Sep 15, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    At a certain temperature, the equilibrium constant for the gaseous reaction of CO with O2 to produce CO2 is 5000 lit/mole. Calculate [CO] at equilibrium, if 1 mol each of CO and O2 afre placed in a 2 L vessel and allowed to come to equilibrium.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Concentration at equilibrium
    CO= 1-x
    O2= 1-x/2
    CO2=x where x is the no of moles dissociated

Kc=x^2/(1-x)^2(1-x/2)=5000

I dont understand what assumption I should make to solve this.
    answer is [CO]= 0.014

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2010 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I have not tried to solve, so it is possible there will be some more hurdles, but first step is more or less obvious - equilibrium is shifted far to the right, so amount of product is almost stoichiometric.

I have a gut feeling that it will be better to approach the question from the other end - assume you started with 1 mole of CO2 and half mole of oxygen. x will be very small then and approximations will be much more obvious.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2013
  4. Sep 15, 2010 #3
    As you said I took 1 mole CO2 and half mole O2
    and got x value as 0.058 (moles of CO)
    But how do we relate this the problem (1 mole CO and 1 mole O2)

5. Sep 15, 2010 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Through stoichiometry. If total amount of substances present is identical, it doesn't matter if you start with products or reactants, equilibrium is the same.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook