Chemical Equilibrium Stresses

In summary, adding an inert gas to a vessel at equilibrium will have no effect on the concentrations of products and reactants, as it only changes the total pressure and not the partial pressures of the gases involved.
lapo3399
Given the equilibrium reaction:
N2(g) + O2(g) <---> 2NO(g) deltaH=180kJ mol-1
State the effect of each of the following potential stresses on the system:
A) Temperature is decreased
B) The pressure of the container is decreased, keeping volume constant
C) A catalyst is added
D) NO is removed as it forms
E) Argon gas is added to the container

A) A shift to the left will occur, considering the enthalpy of reaction.
B) Not sure about this one, as the only way to accomplish this is to remove particles from the container. My best guess is that, assuming an equal quantity of reactants vs. products is removed, there will be no shift as the ratio of moles of reactant to moles of product is 1:1.
C) No change, as the catalyst will catalyze both the forward and reverse reactions equally.
D) Shift to the right, as product collisions decrease as NO is removed.
E) No change, as the argon will increase the total pressure, but will not react in collisions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answers are correct. Also, choice B is poorly written and this should probably be brought to the attention of the instructor.

Last edited:
Gokul43201 said:
For instance, addition of argon (at constant volume) to the reaction N2 + 3H2 <--> 2NH3, will produce a shift to the right.

Why is this? Argon is inert and the partial pressures of the reactants and product will remain unchanged.

Yikes! You are absolutely right. I don't know what I was thinking!

<editing above post to minimize miscommunication>

post edited to remove error

Last edited:
Plastic Photon said:
Why is this? Argon is inert and the partial pressures of the reactants and product will remain unchanged.

Well you are talking about stressing the equilibrium point. if the equation increases pressure if it goes to the right, and you increase the pressure the equation will go towards relieving this pressure and will go to the left. and I'm sure about this answer.
And if the equation increases temperature as it goes to the right, then a decrease in temperature will goes it to increase the temperature even more. cause it has to maintain its stability.

eaboujaoudeh said:
Well you are talking about stressing the equilibrium point. if the equation increases pressure if it goes to the right, and you increase the pressure the equation will go towards relieving this pressure and will go to the left. and I'm sure about this answer.
And if the equation increases temperature as it goes to the right, then a decrease in temperature will goes it to increase the temperature even more. cause it has to maintain its stability.

You can see for youself why this cannot possibly be true if you substitute the concentration of the argon into the equilibrium expression. The same term will appear in the numerator and denominator of the equilibrium expression. Cancelling gives you an equilbrium expression that is only dependent upon the concentrations of products and reactants. Argon is neither reactant nor product.

ok then. what happens if i increase the pressure in the container without adding or changing anything else?

The answer to "B" applies to both lowering and raising the pressure.

N2 + 3H2 <--> 2NH3 i meant for this equation sorry. if i increase pressure here i would get the equation shifting towards the right to relieve the pressure right? how do u increase pressure? well u induce a nonreactive gas! this gas increases the overall pressure in the container thus it stresses the equation and causes it to move towards the pressure releasing side.

Absolutely.

thus my quote was right ! i was quoting plastic photon who said that adding a nonreactive gas to an equation won't alter its' equilibrium pt.my answer is that it will !

An addition of inert gas changes the total pressure, however an addition of reactive gas changes both the total pressure and the partial pressure of the reactants and products.

chemisttree said:
Absolutely.

Sorry, I should have replied "Absolutely not."

Will increasing the pressure of a vessel with an inert gas change the concentration of either the reactants or products?

woops..i guess you're right. adding an inert gas will have no effect on the concentration of products and reactants..ssorryy

1. What is chemical equilibrium?

Chemical equilibrium refers to the state in which the forward and reverse reactions of a chemical reaction are occurring at equal rates, resulting in no overall change in the concentration of reactants and products.

2. How is chemical equilibrium achieved?

Chemical equilibrium can be achieved by adjusting the reaction conditions, such as temperature, pressure, and concentration of reactants and products, until the forward and reverse reactions are occurring at equal rates.

3. What is the importance of chemical equilibrium?

Chemical equilibrium is important because it allows for the production of desired amounts of products in a chemical reaction. It also ensures that the reaction can be sustained without the depletion of reactants.

4. What factors can disrupt chemical equilibrium?

Factors that can disrupt chemical equilibrium include changes in temperature, pressure, and concentration of reactants or products. The addition or removal of a catalyst can also affect equilibrium.

5. How do stressors affect chemical equilibrium?

Stressors, such as changes in temperature, pressure, or concentration, can cause a shift in the equilibrium position of a chemical reaction. This results in a temporary imbalance between the forward and reverse reactions until a new equilibrium is reached.