1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemical Equilibrium

1. Aug 15, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The following reaction initially contains [A]o = 0.2150 M and o = [C]o = 0.4150 M. If the equilibrium constant for the reaction is Keq = 2.03, what are the concentrations of reactants and products when the reaction has achieved equilibrium? What is the value of deltaG for the reaction at 25oC?

2 A <-> B + C

2. Relevant equations

I am stuck as on how to proceed with the math. I'm not sure if I am doing it correctly or not. Could someone please take a look?

3. The attempt at a solution

Initial: 2A B C
    0.2150M 0.4150M 0.4150M

Change: +x -x -x
    Since Q>Kc, as Qc = [C]/[A]^2

Equil. 0.2150+x 0.4150-x 0.4150-x

I'm stuck on the whole rearranging and solving for x bit. I know I'm supposed to use quadratic formula.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2007 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Substitute the values you know for the equilibrium concentration of A, B and C (A=0.2150+x, B=0.4150-x, C=0.4150-x) into the expression for equilibrium and solve it.

Keq=2.03=[(0.4150-x)^2/(0.2150+x)^2] and expand it out, multiply both sides by (A+x)^2, do the algebra until the expression for Keq is in the form:

0 = ax^2 + bx + c (note that here the terms a, b and c are not the same as A, B and C given in the problem)

Hint: The first step should look like this:

2.03*(0.2150+x)^2 = (0.4150-x)^2, after multiplying both sides by (0.2150+x)^2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?