Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemical Equilibrium

1. Dec 16, 2015 #1
    Guys, I'm studying about Le-chatelier's principle and the topic is effect of temperature. I just went through it and found a difficulty that why K values changes i.e why the equilibrium constant changes as in other effects like changes in concentration, pressure,etc the K values remains constant.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2015 #2
    Hi Karan:

I looked at the Wikipedia article
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Chatelier's_principle
    and I found no equations involving a variable "K". So, I assume that by "K value" you mean temperature.

I can make some wild guesses about the problem you are asking about, but in order to help you I need to see the context of the question, with quoted material for the source if possible.

Regards,
    Buzz

4. Dec 16, 2015 #3

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

In the simplest model the rate constant is given by the Arrhenius equation, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reaction_rate_constant

The higher the temperature, the easier it is for the reactants to overcome the reaction barrier. No such dependence of the rate constant exists for pressure and concentration. That said, they still have to be considered in Le Châtelier's principle (although pressure only for gases).

5. Dec 16, 2015 #4

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

6. Dec 16, 2015 #5
    You are asking why the equilibrium constant is a function of temperature, but not pressure or concentration, correct?

7. Dec 16, 2015 #6
    I understood you Drclaud. And I want the same thing mentioned above that is why Equilibrium constant is a function of temperature . why it doesn't varies with changes in concentration and pressure

8. Dec 16, 2015 #7
    I take that as a yes. Have you had a course in chemical thermodynamics yet?

9. Dec 16, 2015 #8
    No, I'm in FYJC so no knowledge of thermodynamics

10. Dec 16, 2015 #9
    Well, when you take chemical thermodynamics, you will learn about the derivation of the equilibrium constant and why it is a function of temperature alone. The coursework leading up to this is just too lengthy to describe here.

chet

11. Dec 17, 2015 #10
    Ohk thanks for the help☺

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook