1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemical equillibria

1. Sep 22, 2008 #1
    a question on equillibria

"Ionic compounds we normally designate as insoluble in water e.g. AgCl actually dissocitae to a small extent into constituent ions. these aqueous ions are in equillibrium with the solid as indicated in the following equation

AgCl(s) [tex]\Updownarrow[/tex] Ag[tex]^{}_{}+[/tex] (aq) + Cl[tex]^{-}[/tex] (aq)

if a beaker of water containg solid silver chloride, indicate if the equillibrium components increase, decrease or do not change when a solution of NaCl is added to the beaker

Mass of AgCl(s): [tex]\uparrow[/tex] or[tex]\downarrow[/tex] or constant

Concentration of Ag(aq): [tex]\uparrow[/tex] or [tex]\downarrow[/tex] or constant

Concentration of Cl(aq): [tex]\uparrow[/tex] or [tex]\downarrow[/tex] or constant

I have put mass of AgCl increase because adding more ionized Cl will interact with the Ag(aq)

and if this was true Ag(aq) and Cl(aq) would decrease, right?

But my biggest concern is does the Cl(aq) act with Ag(aq) to create a solid; im just not sure if my logic is correct

any feedback would be greatly appreciated
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2008 #2
    and i just read to not post questions here

So sorry
  4. Sep 22, 2008 #3

Staff: Mentor

It is the application of the Le Chatelier's principle, and you are right.

Question will be moved by mentors sooner or later to appropriate forum.
  5. Sep 22, 2008 #4
    thank you for the prompt reply
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?