Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemical formula and thoretical/percent yield.

1. Sep 18, 2005 #1
    2 ml of 15M Nitric acid was added to copper bromide(CuBr) and gently heated untill a black substance was formed, copper oxide(CuO), and was completly dry. There was .93g of CuO formed in the reaction. The CuO was formed from the decomposition of the copper nitrate produced by the reaction of ntitric acid with copper bromide.

I have to find the chemical formula and calculate the theoretical and percent yields.

I'm having trouble writing the chemical formula...So far i have
    CuBr + HNO3 ----> CuNO3 + Br2 + H2
    (I know its not balanced yet but i want to know if its right before i balance it)

CuNO3 + HNO3 ----> CuO + N2
    (This also isnt balanced)

Do i have to combine these formulas to find a formula that models the reaction? If so, how do I do that?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2005 #2

Staff: Mentor

Are you sure you start with copper (I) bromide, and not with copper (II) bromide? If the copper is oxidized yield will be unpredictable, as nitric acid can be reduced to both NO2 and NO during reaction, thus stoichiometry will be dubious.
  4. Sep 19, 2005 #3
    im fairly confident that it is copper (I) bromide
  5. Sep 20, 2005 #4

Staff: Mentor

Nitric acid is highly concentrated so you may assume that it is reduced to NO2 when dissolving CuBr. First step will be to priduce copper (II) nitratne, second will be decomposition to CuO. Note that in the second step reaction equation is not as important as in the first step.
  6. Sep 20, 2005 #5
    thanks for the help :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?