1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemical formula of diesel

1. Aug 23, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For a assessment task at school, I have to compare various types of fuel, one of which is diesel. One aspect of the task is to name the chemical formula for each fuel.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I keep finding that the formula for diesel is C12H23. I know that diesel is made up of various hydrocarbons, but C12H23 is niether a alkane, alkyne or alkene. Is C12H23 the correct formula, and if so, what is the structural formula

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2011 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's a mixture of things as you noted. The (weighted) average empirical formula contains absolutely no structural information. It only gives you ratios between carbon/hydrogen which is only helpful to determine the stoichiometry of combustion. You can't tell from looking at the empirical formula the difference between a compound that is an alkene or if it contains a cyclic structure either. Or one that is an alkyne from a diene from a bicyclic.

Empirical formula is not the same as structural formula.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook