1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemical kinetics/heat equation

1. Nov 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    the math in here is a bit over my head.

the equation is

[tex] \frac {d^2 \theta}{d x'^2 } = -y *exp(\theta) [/tex] eq. 1

first off, this is a steady state model. meaning, we consider the pre-explosion temperature to be small in comparison with the absolute temperature of the walls:[tex] \frac {\Delta T}{T} << 1 [/tex]

2nd, the reaction rate only depends on the deperature in accordance with exp(-E/RT)

3rd we regad the thermal conductivity of the walls as being infinitely large.

x' = x/r is the nondimensionalization of x, r is the half length (i.e radius for cylinder), not the derivative, for -L < x < L we have -1 < x' < 1. x' drops unit (i.e m, cm, ..)

theta is the nondimensionalization of temperature [tex] \theta = \frac {E}{RT^2_a} *(T - T_a) [/tex]

y (although i used a different variable) is known as the frank kamenetskii parameter

[tex] y = \frac {Q}{d}*\frac {E}{R*T^2_a}*r^2*z* exp(\frac {-E}{RT_a}) [/tex]

E: activation energy
    T_a: ambient temperature
    Q: heat released
    z: frequency of particle collision
    r: radius or half width (depending on geometry)
    R: gas constant
    d: thermal conductivity

all uniform except Q, i think..

the book solves the differential equation 1, analytically, for a function [tex] \theta = f(y,x') [/tex] in case of high activation energy E. RT<<E

the book gives the following result.

[tex] exp(\theta) = \frac {a}{cosh^2(b \frac{+}{-} \sqrt \frac{a*y}{2} * x')} [/tex]

im just trying to figure out what steps I need to take in order to arrive at the last solution.

seperation of vars?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?