1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemical Kinetics Question

1. Mar 6, 2006 #1
    We are currently studying reactions in terms of kinetic energy, reaction rates, collision theory, and so on.

There is a question on my assignment that is kind of boggling me right now:

An increase in temperature of 10 C rarely doubles the kinetic energy of particles, and hence the number of collisions is not doubled. Yet, this temperature increase may be enough to double the rate of a slow reaction. How can this be explained?

I'm not sure if it has to do with the wording of the question, but I'm really not getting this question.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2006 #2
    aA+bB -> cC + dD
    use abcd in relation to temp to explain the problem
  4. Mar 9, 2006 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Think about the rate of a reaction in relevance to the activation energies of the respective reaction. At a particular temperature and kinetic energy distribution of the molecules, more or less these molecules may have enough energy in surpassing the activation energy.

So if a reaction rate is fast, at a particular starting equilibrium temperature, what does this tell you about the proportion of the molecules which have enough energy surpass the activation energy?

I've given you more than a big hint for this problem,
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?