1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemical kinetics

Tags:
  1. Jan 30, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The task is the following:
    e6rlc6W.jpg

If the concentration of A decreases 0.03 M in one hour, then the concentration of B should to, which means, [ B] should be 0.05 M?

And if I try to calculate k, i get 14.87 l/(mol*h)

For second order reactions, t1/2 sould be 1/(k*[A]0)

So I get 1.34 h as t1/2 for substance A, which somehow doesn't make sence, since more than 50% of the substance reacted in one hour. For B i get 9.29h, which doesn't make sence too. Can me someone tell my mistake?

2. Relevant equations
    see above

3. The attempt at a solution
    see above

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2016 #2

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If the concentration of A decreases 0.03 M in one hour, then the concentration of B should to, which means, [ B] should be 0.05 M? YES

I calculated the same rate constant as you.

Always good to check for reasonableness.

However I think that the simple relation of rate constant to half life only applies for the case of equal concentrations [A] = [ B]. ?

I am not sure there is any useful simple relation like that when these two are not equal. So I think you will have to work out each case using the full integrated rate equation, e.g. With [A]/[A0] = ½ and [ B] = [ B0] - [A0]/2 etc.

4. Jan 31, 2016 #3
    Ok, thanks for the answer, I found a way, where t1/2 for A yields 0.756h, which seems to make sence, at least for this reaction :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted