What is the Chemical Name of SnMg2O4?

• Thread starter masyousaf1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemical
In summary, the conversation is about identifying the name of SnMg2O4 and other examples such as ZnAl2O4 and ZnIN2S4. The person asking for help is a physicist and not very knowledgeable in chemistry. They suggest calling it Tin Magnetate or simply magnesium tin oxide. The production of salt requires a cation and an anion, and since magnesium is strictly metallic, it can only produce a cation, meaning tin must be in the anion. Some papers studying this compound can be found on Google, but none of them mention the name.
masyousaf1
Dear community fellows

Can somebody help me in identifying the name of SnMg2O4 ?
Other examples are ZnAl2O4 (Zinc Aluminate), ZnIN2S4 (Zn Thioindate).
Kindly provide the reference if possible.

Thank You
Masood

Chemistry news on Phys.org
masyousaf1 said:
Can somebody help me in identifying the name of SnMg2O4 ?

I would start thinking which of the two metals present is amphoteric.

Dear Sir, can we call it as Tin Magnetate ?

Is magnesium amphoteric, or is it strictly metallic?

What are salts? What does it take to produce a salt?

Magnesium here is metallic in nature. I surf a lot to find its name but couldn't find. I am a physicist and not very good at chemistry.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
I think calling it simply magnesium tin oxide would be also ok. At least in google some papers studying this compond show up.

Yes there are some papers but none of them mentioned the name. Strange for me

1. What is the chemical formula of SnMg2O4?

The chemical formula of SnMg2O4 is a combination of the symbols for its constituent elements: Sn for tin, Mg for magnesium, and O for oxygen. The subscript 2 indicates that there are two magnesium atoms present for every one tin atom, and the subscript 4 indicates that there are four oxygen atoms present in the compound.

2. What is the name of the compound SnMg2O4?

The name of the compound SnMg2O4 is stannous magnesium oxide. This name is derived from the Latin word "stannum," which means tin, and the Greek word "magnesia," which means magnesium. The "ous" suffix indicates that tin is in its +2 oxidation state in this compound.

3. What are the properties of SnMg2O4?

SnMg2O4 is a white or light grey solid with a high melting point. It is insoluble in water and most common solvents but can react with strong acids. This compound is also a semiconductor, meaning it can conduct electricity under certain conditions.

4. How is SnMg2O4 used in industry?

SnMg2O4 is commonly used as a catalyst in various industrial processes, such as the production of synthetic fuels and chemicals. It is also used in ceramics and refractory materials due to its high melting point and chemical stability. Additionally, this compound is a potential candidate for use in batteries and electronic devices.

5. Is SnMg2O4 toxic?

SnMg2O4 is considered to have low toxicity. It is not classified as a hazardous substance by major regulatory agencies, and there have been no reported cases of adverse effects on human health from exposure to this compound. However, as with all chemicals, it is important to handle and use SnMg2O4 with proper precautions to avoid any potential risks.