• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Chemical Nomenclature

• Thread starter BrainMan
  • Start date
1. Homework Statement
Write the formula of : lead(2) permanganate

2. Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution
So I know that this formula is the combination of lead magnesium and oxygen. I know that the -ate suffix means that it has the most number of oxygen ions possible. The answer was Pb (MnO4)2. I don't know what
1- the prefix per- means
2 - how to find the number of Oxygen molecules
3- how to find the magnesium oxyanion
4- how to find the charge of a substance based on its location on the periodic table
thanks in advance!

Borek

Mentor
No way to answer your questions without knowing what manganate is. Lead(II) permanganate is not a systematic name, half-systematic name at best.

per- means acid with the highest oxidation state of the central atom (or the highest number of oxygen atoms combined with the central atom).

Naming of many substances is half-systematic, half-conventional. Unfortunately, that means many of these names are best remembered.

No way to answer your questions without knowing what manganate is. Lead(II) permanganate is not a systematic name, half-systematic name at best.

per- means acid with the highest oxidation state of the central atom (or the highest number of oxygen atoms combined with the central atom).

Naming of many substances is half-systematic, half-conventional. Unfortunately, that means many of these names are best remembered.
OK thanks! I didn't notice that the problem gave the formula for manganese. I figured it out.

Borek

Mentor
OK, that makes the problem easier.

Still, sometimes difference between acid and peracid is number of oxygens (ClO3- vs ClO4-), sometimes it is charge of the oxyanion (MnO42- vs MnO4-).