Pb(MnO4)2: Lead Permanganate Formula

In summary: In this case per- means highest oxidation state of manganese, which is 7.In summary, the formula for lead(II) permanganate is Pb(MnO4)2. The prefix "per-" indicates the highest oxidation state of the central atom, which in this case is manganese with a charge of +7. The -ate suffix signifies the highest number of oxygen ions possible in the compound. The naming of substances is often a combination of systematic and conventional conventions, making it important to remember specific examples.
BrainMan

Homework Statement

Write the formula of : lead(2) permanganate

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know that this formula is the combination of lead magnesium and oxygen. I know that the -ate suffix means that it has the most number of oxygen ions possible. The answer was Pb (MnO4)2. I don't know what
1- the prefix per- means
2 - how to find the number of Oxygen molecules
3- how to find the magnesium oxyanion
4- how to find the charge of a substance based on its location on the periodic table
thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
No way to answer your questions without knowing what manganate is. Lead(II) permanganate is not a systematic name, half-systematic name at best.

per- means acid with the highest oxidation state of the central atom (or the highest number of oxygen atoms combined with the central atom).

Naming of many substances is half-systematic, half-conventional. Unfortunately, that means many of these names are best remembered.

Likes 1 person
Borek said:
No way to answer your questions without knowing what manganate is. Lead(II) permanganate is not a systematic name, half-systematic name at best.

per- means acid with the highest oxidation state of the central atom (or the highest number of oxygen atoms combined with the central atom).

Naming of many substances is half-systematic, half-conventional. Unfortunately, that means many of these names are best remembered.

OK thanks! I didn't notice that the problem gave the formula for manganese. I figured it out.

BrainMan said:
problem gave the formula for manganese

Manganese? Or manganate?

Borek said:
Manganese? Or manganate?

Sorry I meant manganate.

OK, that makes the problem easier.

Still, sometimes difference between acid and peracid is number of oxygens (ClO3- vs ClO4-), sometimes it is charge of the oxyanion (MnO42- vs MnO4-).

1. What is the chemical formula for Pb(MnO4)2?

The chemical formula for Pb(MnO4)2 is lead permanganate. It is also sometimes written as Pb2(MnO4)2 to indicate the two lead atoms present in the compound.

2. What is the molecular weight of Pb(MnO4)2?

The molecular weight of Pb(MnO4)2 is 439.197 g/mol. This can be calculated by adding the atomic weights of lead (Pb), manganese (Mn), and oxygen (O) in the compound.

3. What is the molar mass of Pb(MnO4)2?

The molar mass of Pb(MnO4)2 is also 439.197 g/mol. Molar mass and molecular weight are often used interchangeably to describe the mass of a substance in a given unit (usually grams per mole).

4. Is Pb(MnO4)2 soluble in water?

Yes, Pb(MnO4)2 is slightly soluble in water. This means that a small amount of the compound can dissolve in water to form a solution. The solubility of lead permanganate increases at higher temperatures.

5. What are the uses of Pb(MnO4)2?

Pb(MnO4)2 is primarily used as a strong oxidizing agent in organic synthesis reactions. It is also used in analytical chemistry for the determination of certain elements in a sample. Additionally, lead permanganate can be used as a disinfectant and in the production of dyes and pigments.