Chemical physics PhD questions

In summary, the conversation discusses questions about the competitiveness of chemical physics programs, whether it is a good idea for a chemistry major to only apply to these programs, and if having a physics background is necessary for admission. The general consensus is that it is not necessary to have a strong physics background, as many chemical physics programs are housed within chemistry departments. Additionally, taking advanced chemistry courses can make a candidate a strong applicant for these programs.
cytochrome
For those of you who have experience with these programs, I have some questions.

How competitive are they generally? They don't seem like they get a lot of applicants.

Is it a bad idea to ONLY apply to chemical physics programs as a chemistry major? There are 5 schools I know of with chemical physics PhD programs. Is it pushing my luck to apply only to these 5 for graduate school?

My physics background is not as great as a physics major - only advance classical and quantum mechanics courses and 2 summers of biophysics research. Will this hurt me if I'm willing to learn what I've missed out on (statistical mechanics and electromagnetism and optics)? Will they let you make up for a lack of physics courses in graduate school?

Do they favor physics majors over chemistry majors?

Thanks for any answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd say don't worry about it. Most are housed primarily in the department of chemistry so you have your answer right there.

My friend is a PhD student at Harvard right now for Chemical Physics, and his first semester there he is taking a couple of QM courses. The only physics classes he took in his undergrad was a year of introductory physics courses, and I think one other class related physical chemistry. I don't know what his REU consisted of, but you definitely have more physics experience than he did. If you take the same courseload work of advanced chem classes (Quantum/Advanced Analytical, Thermo, Computational chem, Statistical Methods, etc.) then I'd think you'd be a very strong candidate for any school you want, pretty much

1. What is the difference between chemical physics and traditional chemistry?

Chemical physics focuses on the underlying physical principles and mathematical models that govern chemical reactions, while traditional chemistry is more focused on the observation and study of chemical substances and their properties.

2. What are some common research topics in chemical physics PhD programs?

Some common research topics in chemical physics include molecular dynamics, quantum chemistry, spectroscopy, and computational chemistry.

3. What skills are necessary to succeed in a chemical physics PhD program?

Strong mathematical and analytical skills are essential in chemical physics, as well as a solid understanding of physics and chemistry concepts. Proficiency in computer programming and data analysis is also helpful.

4. What career options are available for those with a chemical physics PhD?

Chemical physics PhD graduates can pursue careers in academia, research and development, or industry. They may also work in fields such as materials science, nanotechnology, or pharmaceuticals.

5. How long does it typically take to complete a chemical physics PhD program?

The time to complete a chemical physics PhD program can vary, but it usually takes 4-5 years of full-time study. This can also depend on the individual's research project and progress.