1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemical potential

1. Sep 5, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the chemical potential for an ideal gas as a function of temperature and pressure. Use the "Gibbs-Duhen relation".

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\mu=\frac{\partial U}{\partial N}[/tex]
    [tex]dU=TdS-pdV+\sum\limits_{i}\mu_{i}dN_{i}[/tex]
    [tex]U=Q+W[/tex]
    Gibbs-Duhen relation: [tex]0=SdT-Vdp+\sum\limits_{i}N_{i}d\mu_{i}[/tex]
    Ideal gas law: [tex]pV=Nk_{b}T[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well first I just tried putting the second equation (above) into the first one, but that just resulted in [itex]\mu[/itex] again, so that was a dead end.
    I also tried plugging in everything I could from the ideal gas equation into the second equation (above) and the Gibbs-Duhen equation, because the problem asks for an ideal gas, hoping something would pop out after that, but I had no luck.

Thermodynamics has always been my weakest subject in physics.
    I have several problems like this to do, so I'm not actually looking for a solution for this particular problem, I'm looking for general information on how to solve this type of problem that will help me on all of them.
    I have no trouble like this with other areas of physics, but there's something about thermodynamics that my mind just doesn't get.. Maybe I just haven't learned it properly but I don't feel like there's any consistent set of fundamental equations, or underlying theory that I can cling to when I'm lost.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted