1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemical Potential

1. Oct 20, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I just have a question about chemical potential for ideal monatomic gas. I see that by definition [tex] \mu = \frac{\partial U}{\partial N} [/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    [tex] \mu = \frac{\partial U}{\partial N} [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was wondering why it is wrong to use [tex] U=3/2NkT [/tex] take the partial with respect to N and get [tex] \mu = 3/2kT [/tex].

I know this isn't right, but what is exactly wrong with it?

The correct equation for the chemical potential of a monatomic ideal gas by the way is
    [tex] \mu = -kT \ln({\frac{V}{N}(\frac{4 \pi mU}{3h^2}})^\frac{3}{2}) [/tex]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2015 #2
    I'm thinking there is something to do with the variables that need to be held fixed, they are entropy and volume. Does 3/2NkT somehow not keep these values fixed maybe?

4. Oct 21, 2015 #3

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Indeed. You need to start from the thermodynamic identity
    $$
    dU = T dS - PdV + \mu dN
    $$
    from which you will see that
    $$
    \mu = \left( \frac{\partial U}{\partial N} \right)_{S,V}
    $$

5. Oct 21, 2015 #4
    Yes, I most definitely see that.

My biggest issue right now is why is it not correct to use [tex] U=\frac {f}{2}NkT [/tex] take that partial with respect to N and obtain an answer? My thought is that this equation doesn't hold S and V constant inherently, but how would I see that? Just that fact that T is in the equation maybe?

6. Oct 21, 2015 #5

DrClaude

Yes, you would have a term in ##\partial T / \partial N## in there.

7. Oct 21, 2015 #6
    Thank you very much. Little simple things like this keep holding me up a little. Hopefully my math skills tighten up in these last few years of my undergraduate studies.

8. Oct 21, 2015 #7

DrClaude

You can take comfort in the fact that you had the right intuition as to why simply taking the derivative of U didn't work. The more you use math, the better your skills.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted